33

"No!" Rose shouted, causing the people ahead of us to turn around before they went back to drinking. She blushed a bright red, tilting her face downwards while I laughed.

"I had no idea you were so competitive," I told her when she stomped back over to where I stood, lips in the most adorable little pout. She dropped her bag to the ground and snatched up her drink before gulping it down.

"I'm not competitive," she said defensively, making me laugh harder. "I just don't understand how you're doing this, it's so hard!" she grumbled. She slammed her plastic cup back down on the little table so violently, liquid sloshed over the sides. When she trudged back over to the green, I watched her jaw clench before she bent forward, lined her club up with the little ball, and thwacked it so hard it rolled straight over the hole, bounced off the rock behind it, and rolled back past where she was standing. "No, no, no!"

Tears pricked my eyes from laughing so hard. I'd never met someone so bad at mini golf. Nor had I ever seen her so angry. It was so fucking adorable, watching her cross her arms and stomp her feet like my sister did when she was toddler. "I can't do it," she whined.

I tried to supress my grin but failed miserably. "I can see that."

She rolled her eyes and started to walk to where the ball had rolled to a stop, even further from the hole than she was a minute ago. "You're being an ass," she muttered. My eyes widened. I hadn't heard her curse much, in fact, she cringed whenever I did, but clearly, mini golf had pushed her over the edge.

I watched in amusement as she bent over and picked the ball up before making her way back to the hole. "Now, hang on a minute," I said, taking a sip of my drink before frowning in her direction. She offered the most angelic smile in return before dropping the ball into the hole. "That's cheating."

She shot me a look. "We have tutoring tomorrow morning. If I don't cheat, we'll still be here, on the second hole of the course!"

She grew louder and louder with each word, getting more and more worked up. It was cute. I rolled my eyes while she continued. "People are waiting for us."

"They can skip ahead if they're that bothered," I assured her, "or they can wait." I grabbed her drink along with my own before we moved onto the third hole. "Come on," I said, "keep trying. You'll get it."

"I don't think I will," she grumbled.

I stepped up to take my shot first and swung the club, nudging the ball along the green and up the carpeted slope before it sunk into the hole at the top. Rose let out some sort of irritated growl that sounded more animal than human before taking another gulp of her drink. I shot her a smile. "You're turn."

"I don't think I want to go out with you again," she muttered as she brushed past me, jabbing me in the shin with her golf club as she did. I only laughed harder. She dropped the ball onto the ground and lined her club up with it before hitting it. This time, she didn't put enough force behind it so it only made it part way up the slope before tumbling back down. "Argh! Why can't I do it?"

I chuckled as I propped my foot out to stop the ball rolling back onto the previous course. She was still scowling when I approached her and put it at her feet. "Come here," I said, biting my lip to hide my smirk.

I stood behind her, holding her hands in mine around the handle of the club. Her perfume hit my nose, a sweet, fruity smell. It suited her. When I leant forward, her hair tickled my chin, the scent of coconut wafting up. She fit so perfectly like this, tucked beneath my chin, wrapped in my arms, like she was made specifically for me. I couldn't help but brush my thumb over the back of her hand. Feeling her soft, warm skin beneath the tips of my fingers did something to my sanity.