42

I passed my history exam.

I didn't have a fucking clue how, but I guessed it had something to do with the pretty blonde know-it-all that dedicated all her free time last week to helping me study. The same girl that I now got to take on another date.

I waited outside while she ran up to get changed. I'd asked her to choose what we did this time and within our session this morning, learnt one very crucial piece of information about Rose. She was the most indecisive person I'd ever met. She couldn't think of a single date idea and then, when I presented her with some options, she couldn't decide between them. I tried to let her decide what we did for food but she didn't know what she'd want to eat either.

So, we were back to the original arrangement. I decide the date and keep it all a surprise. Most importantly, I don't ask her to make a single decision.

She came running back out about ten minutes later, a smile on her face. She was still wearing her jeans and had swapped her usual cream jumper for a top and coat. I'd told her to wrap up warm since we'd be outside and there was still a chill in the air, so she'd also grabbed a scarf and put some sturdier shoes on.

"Ready?" I asked her.

She nodded and crossed the street to where I'd parked. I opened the car door and closed it behind her before jumping in myself. While I pulled away, she fiddled with the radio until she found a song she liked and then she sunk back in her seat, drumming her fingers against her leg to the beat.

"Where are we going," she asked before we'd even left her neighbourhood. I shot her a look and she huffed. "Alright fine, don't tell me."

"You had your chance to be a part of the decision," I reminded her and she huffed again, crossing her arms over her chest.

"It's too hard to decide," she mumbled, making me laugh.

It wasn't a very long drive to our destination, only half an hour to reach the outskirts of town where farmers fields sprawled across most of the land. Every March, though, a funfair came into the town for the month and while it was meant for kids, me and my siblings still tried to go every year. I didn't imagine Rose had ever been.

I followed a couple of narrow lanes towards the car park while she gawked out the window. "A funfair?" she questioned in surprise. I wasn't sure if it was a good surprise or a bad one.

"Is that okay?" I asked her. "We can do something else if you want? I just thought this might be fun."

After discussing date options this morning, Rose gave me the impression that she wasn't interested in going for a fancy dinner somewhere. She liked the activities more. So far, an evening at the beach and mini-golfing had been a hit, so I'd decided to stick to what I knew worked. This suited me far better than dressing in a suit and going to a fancy restaurant anyway.

"No, this is great. I've never been to a funfair before," she admitted.

"Really? This one comes to town every year for the beginning of spring," I told her, "later in the season some of the farms over there-," I gestured to the left, "bring over some of the newborn lambs for kids to play with."

"That's so cute!"

I grinned at the giddy smile on her face. I really fucking loved making her happy. I pulled the car into a space and killed the engine and by the time I had, her seatbelt was undone and she started to push her door open. I followed her out of the car and locked it before heading towards the large gates leading to the field. "It might be a bit muddy," I warned her, glancing down at the chunky boots she was wearing. Fortunately, they were already a bit scruffy and caked in dirt.