23

༻ Rose's POV ༺

When Saturday rolled around, I had a spring in my step that hadn't been present in a while. Somehow, the sun seemed brighter, the birds chirping in the tree outside of my window seemed louder, and the weighed down feeling of the world on my shoulders seemed to have lifted slightly. I felt as though I could breathe a little easier as I moved around the apartment. I showered, using my favourite scented lotions that I had been saving for years, only using a small amount on special occasions. This felt like a special occasion.

I'd never been on a date before and the fact that someone like Matteo had asked me to go on a date with him made me giddy. I'd never felt seen before and I had liked it that way. I liked being invisible. But Matt saw me instantly. And being seen by him was a high I couldn't explain.

After my shower, I stood in front of my wardrobe, staring at my limited options, and my good mood instantly deflated. I desperately wanted to be one of those girls that wore pretty outfits and treated themselves to something new when they had a date or an important occasion but unfortunately, I only had the same few options. It was still pretty cold outside so I begrudgingly grabbed my jeans and a plain tank top with my cream jumper thrown over the top. It wasn't special by any means but fortunately for me, Matt had specifically said to dress comfortably and not to wear anything too fancy.

I started to work on the rest of my appearance, dragging a brush through my hair and dabbing some makeup onto my face. It wasn't anything drastic and as much as I wished it did, it didn't totally transform my look into something more beautiful. I still looked like me. Plain and worn down. The only bright side was that, if my father checked the camera footage, I looked no different to any other day, so he wouldn't be suspicious.

I stared at myself for a while, willing my reflection to show a more desirable version. I wanted him to look at me and think I was the most exquisite thing to ever exist, like the men in the books I read always did. In fairytales, the man was always enraptured with the woman's striking beauty and would fall head over heels for her. It was always the same, a beautiful blonde with flawless tanned skin, a perfect figure, a smile that lights up every room and eyes that sparkle in the sun. Someone who floats rather than walks, exhibits elegance and grace in the way they carry themselves, speak softly and sweetly, are quiet and reserved and yet, confident and seductive. I was so far from the standard of those women, the kind of women I expected Matteo to desire. I was plain, pale and wore shabby, outdated clothes. I didn't float but instead stumbled and trudged around with poor posture due to always being hunched over when I read. I'm wasn't confident and muttered and stumbled over my words and was very clearly uncomfortable all the time. Nothing about me was seductive or desirable. I was simply plain.

I startled when my phone vibrated on my desk. I peeled my eyes away from my reflection and moved towards it, feeling a little lighter when I saw a message from Matt. With a smile on my face, I opened the message to see he'd said he was on his way up. My heart stuttered and suddenly, I didn't have the time to dwell on my appearance. Hurriedly, I stuffed my feet into my shoes, snatched up my bag although I only had a small amount of loose change in there and shot across the apartment.

It wasn't until I slammed the front door shut behind me and paused for breath in the hallway that I realised I was obviously rushing in front of the camera. I cringed, praying that he hadn't been watching at the time. But, before I could begin to dwell and panic, the sound of Matt's footsteps on the stairs reached my ears and, when I glanced to the left, his towering figure came around the corner and up the final flight of stairs.

I swallowed; my throat suddenly dry when his eyes landed on me. A smile cracked on his face and I relaxed again instantly. "Hey," he greeted, reaching the top of the stairs and ending up right beside me.