62

Thwack.

With every swing of my fist, I felt the tension bleed out of me. Every time my fist pounded against skin and bone, I pictured Rose's black eye, her tear-stained face, every bruise, every painful wince. It was all I could see in my minds eye. The guy in front of me was a stranger. He hadn't done anything to personally offend me but he'd done something. He wouldn't be in my dad's cells if he hadn't. That gave me the perfect face to pummel.

So, I did, again and again and again.

Pained gargling noises left his throat with every whack but I could barely hear it over the roaring sound of my blood pounding in my head. The muscles in my arm rippled as I pulled back, only to throw it forwards again with enough force to crack the bone in his own. The satisfaction I felt was like a bucket of cold water on a raging fire – it calmed the flames for a second but I needed more.

"Matt!"

The door to the warehouse banged open. "Matt!"

With a groan, I paused and straightened, my breathing heavy. "For fucks sake, I need him alive," my dad grumbled behind me. His heavy footfalls echoed as he crossed the large empty room towards me. All around us, his soldiers scattered, lining the walls and watching us with blank expressions.

My stare remained on the bloodied mess in front of me, until dads hand landed on my shoulder, tugging slightly to pull me away. I whipped around, still itching to hit something. My hands clenched at my sides, ready, but I was met with his scowl. "I dare you," he warned, clearly recognising that look in my eye.

"Don't get in my way," I growled back.

The threat in my voice rang clear but he only laughed. "I need him alive," he repeated. His gaze flickered to the guy slumped in the metal chair, blood dripping from his chin and eyes swollen shut. "He has information I need."

I followed his gaze. His face was black and blue with bruising and his lips were sliced in several places. I'd done a serious number on him, but it wasn't enough. "Then find me someone else."

He only shook his head. "Come on."

He didn't allow me the opportunity to respond and started to drag me away. That only wound me up more but I focused on my breathing. I knew if I started a fight with my dad, I'd get my ass handed to me. He might've been old, but he wasn't that old. He still packed a good punch and there is no way he'd let me show him up in front of his men.

He led me through the halls of the warehouse until we hit his office. As soon as the door slammed shout behind us and we were alone, he let go of me. I let out a shaky breath, unclenched my hands, and dropped into one of the chairs pushed up to his desk. Suddenly, I was exhausted.

He watched me silently for a second, arms folded over his chest. "That bad, huh?" he finally said. "Was it what we thought?"

I swallowed. It was exactly what we'd thought. Exactly who we'd thought. And it made me sick. I wanted nothing more than to tell my dad everything Rose had told me today. I wanted to share every detail and let him deal with it all for me. I knew he'd protect her, knew he'd deal with her dad, help her mother, make sure they had the money to survive. He'd fix it all. He always did.

But I'd promised Rose. And I could see her tearful eyes, her pleading expression, her quivering lip. I could hear the crack in her voice as she begged me to keep this information to myself. To not upend her entire life by getting involved. I thought of what she said. I'll never forgive you. I couldn't handle her hating me.

"No," I lied, keeping my eyes fixed to the floor. I couldn't look him in the eye and lie about this.

"No?"