59

Rose clung to me like she'd be swept away in the flood of her own tears. Her nails had pierced my skin, leaving little crescent shapes indented into my upper arms, but I didn't care. I held her just as fiercely, reluctant to ever let her go. I wanted nothing more than to keep her in my arms forever. To keep her here with me, in my bed, in my room, in my house, where I could keep her safe from everything and everyone outside.

She passed out in my arms, her cheeks stained with tears and her lips downturned. I manoeuvred us so I was sitting at the head of the bed, leaning back against the headboard with a blanket tucked around her to keep her warm. I buried my face in her hair, revelling in the soft strands against my cheek. She smelled like me and that brought a sick sense of satisfaction to me. A thrill that didn't belong in the present situation. "You're safe," I whispered to her for the millionth time, even though right now she couldn't hear me.

I needed to remind myself. Over and over again; she was safe.

Nobody would hurt her again. Least of all her own father.

I felt sick at the thought. I'd allowed this to happen. I should have figured it out sooner, should have dug deeper, questioned her further. I should have been more insistent about meeting her parents, should have asked why she was so reluctant. There was so much I could've and should've done to prevent this. I should never have let it get this far.

I couldn't understand why he would do this. She didn't deserve it. How could he hurt his own child? I couldn't think of anything worse than that. My dad might have tortured half the population of this town at one time or another but he would never ever lay a hand on one of his kids. I knew that with absolute certainty.

It was a couple of hours later when she finally stirred. She blinked a few times before her beautiful blue eyes came into view. "Hi beautiful," I greeted, tucking a strand of her hair behind her ear so I could see more of her face.

She managed a small smile. "Hi," she said. Her voice was croaky from crying. "Sorry I fell asleep," she mumbled, shuffling to sit upright, although I still kept her pinned against me.

I smiled. "That's okay, don't worry."

For a moment, she simply stared up at me with wide watery eyes. I held her gaze, strong and steady. That was what she needed from me, what she deserved. Someone that would stand by her, support her, protect her. I'd be that for her, always.

When she broke my gaze, it was to glance towards the alarm clock on my bedside table. A frown appeared. "I should probably go," she muttered.

Her words were like a slap in the face and it was only worsened by the distance she suddenly put between us. One minute, she was nestled in my arms, clinging to me like a life line, and the next, she was on her feet, across the room.

"What?"

She turned her back to me. "I need to speak to my mom. She will be worrying about where I am."

"So we'll bring her here," I said. I shuffled to the edge of my bed and rose to my feet while Rose grabbed her dirty, still damp clothes from where I'd hung them up to help them dry. "What are you doing?"

"Getting changed."

I blinked, sure I was misunderstanding. "Why?"

She finally looked at me again, but I couldn't read the look in her eyes. Whatever it was, it caused my stomach to dip.

Her throat bobbed as she swallowed. "I'm sorry I turned up like that out of the blue last night," she said. Before I could even process her apology, she continued, "I really appreciate you taking care of me, and please thank your parents for me." Her eyes dropped to the floor. "But this was a mistake. I should never have come to you with this."