Chapter 29: Beach Ball

this chapter was fun writing but yall may or may not hate me for the next one
(sorry not sorry 🤷‍♂️)

———————————————————————
Hunter's POV:

Amity and I talked for a bit, she gave me dating advice, I complained how boring it sounded. Luz popped up out of the water in between us, and gasped for air. She coughed a bit, before speaking. "Whatcha talkin' about?" She asked with a smile, leaning against the edge of the pool next to me. "Hunter's big fat crush." Amity voiced before I could say anything. "Oh, Willow?" Luz quickly responded, causing my face to go red. "Wha-" I looked between the two, as if they had easily deciphered an ancient puzzle that's been deemed unsolvable for millions of years. "How di- I mean... No." I stuttered, face the color of Flapjack.

"Very convincing." Luz smirked, then patted my back. I smacked her hand away, blushing. "Stop being weird you guys!" I tried not to yell at the girlfriends, though Luz only responded with "I'll stop annoying you about it when you grow a pair and kiss her." I groaned and flipped her off, getting out of the pool to angrily lie on my back on the hot concrete.

That's when a beachball bounced over me, and I caught it just as it passed overhead. Hah, still got the Golden Guard reflexes. The boy with the afro ran up to me, assumingely to get the ball, but instead sat down next to me. "You good?" He asked, voice a little higher than I thought it would be. I nodded, gently tossing him the ball. "Thanks. You've got good reflexes, man." He said, hair dripping some water onto the ground. I pushed my hair out of my face, only to sigh when it allowed the sunlight to reach my eyes. "Uh yeah, took years of training to get this good." I sat up, trying not to think about my past. "Damn," The boy responded. "I'm Asher, by the way." He held out his hand. "I'm not really a handshake person, sorry. But uh- I'm Hunter." Asher retracted his hand, nodding in understanding.

We were left in awkward silence, which was thankfully interrupted when one of Asher's other friends shouted over to him. "Asher, stop being gay and get your ass back over here!" And the other quickly followed that by "Or at least toss the ball back!" Asher awkwardly blushed at that, chuckling quietly. "Sorry about them, they like to embarrass me in front of every guy I meet. Could I get your number?" I had to think for a second before realizing he meant phone number. "Oh! Oh yeah, sure. Be right back." I ran and grabbed my phone from Camila's bag and opened it to 'Contacts' to look up my number. "Camila, do you have a notepad and something to write with?" She smiled and pulled one out of her purse, along with a pen. I copied down my number along with "-Hunter" at the bottom and ripped out the page. "¡Gracias!" I called to her as I placed my phone back in the bag and trotted back over to Asher with the small paper. "¡De nada!" Camila called back to me and smiled.

I sat back down next to Asher and handed him the paper. "Thanks, man." He smiled and walked over to his and his friends' bags, put the note in his own bag, then jumped back into the pool. By then, the sun was getting to hot on my now dry skin, so I also jumped back into the pool with a splash. When I bobbed back to the surface of the water, my messy blonde hair was in my face and eyes, causing me to squint. When I got my hair out of my face, I was met with Luz. I jumped back in surprise, which made her laugh. "What do you want?" I asked, already partially annoyed. "He's cute, what's his name?" The brunette questioned, ignoring my own ask. I raised an eyebrow at her. "Don't you have a girlfriend?" She looked over at Amity, who was talking to Willow, and pretended to think. "Hmm, good point, but you don't." I couldn't see what she was getting at. "Excuse me?" I asked, insinuating that Luz needed to explain what she was trying to say. She sighed and face palmed, furrowing her eyebrows. "Willow is definitely the type to get jealous. If you start going out with that kid, she'll fall so much harder for you." Luz smiled and put and hand on her hip as a tint of red began to grow on my face. "I- Absolutely not! That's so wrong in so many ways!" Luz just shrugged and ducked underwater to swim over to her girlfriend.

I leaned against the the edge of the pool to think. About what? I have no clue. I was sitting there lost in thought when I heard my name. "Hunter? No! No, I don't have a crush on him! He's like my best friend, that would be weird." I looked up to see Willow talking to Luz, Amity, and Gus. She had her dark green hair up in a bun, and her glasses rested gently on her nose, coated in a few small droplets of water. I sighed and splashed my face with some water to cool down a bit. I knew she didn't like me. That was pretty obvious, actually. I looked back up at her only to see her looking right at me, cheeks flushed, while Luz pointed and grinned mischievously. I couldn't tell if it was the blazing sun or Willow, but my face was suddenly quite warm.When I saw Luz whisper something more in her ear, and Willow's face grow increasingly more red, I quickly scrambled out of the water.

Luz was probably embarrassing me, and I knew Willow must hate me for it. She was probably being told how I easily fluster, or how I flinch or fall asleep when someone hugs me, or how my ears are really sensitive, or how- My spiraling panic attack was halted to a stop when I heard Willow say my name. "Hey, Hunter?" Suddenly she was standing next to me. "Huh?-" Escaped from my throat, my cheeks slightly red with embarrassment. "It's time to go." She said as she waved me in the direction of where the car was parked. I blindly followed her, semi-confused on why we had to leave so early, until I looked up into the sky and realized the sun had moved from midpoint to just reaching over the tops of the trees. We were the only ones left at the pool, and my face and ears were starting to sting of sunburn. "My face hurts." I said as I got into the car after Willow, causing Camila to look back at me and smile warmly. "We can put some aloe vera on it when we get home, it'll soothe the pain." She spoke softly and turned back around to pull out of the parking lot.

1159 words

hunter is starting to lose itt 😜

honestly me too tho

anyways have a good rest of your dayyy <33