Chapter 5: A Simple Question

Love y'all 😋

——————————————————————
Hunter's POV (as usual 😒):

"Hunter can I ask a question?" Willow's soft voice rings throughout the call once again, causing me to smile. "Sure."

"How did you get your scar?" The question struck me like that first drop of boiling rain hitting your skin.

"Hehe... Which one?"

Shit. Hunter are you stupid? Why tf would you say that??

"The one on your right cheek. Obviously. Do you have more than one?" Worry laced her tone, and she wore a concerned expression.

I'm awful at lying, and I know Willow would see right through it. So I told her the truth.

"Uh, Yeah. The one on my cheek is from a long time ago though, I think I was ten. I got the notch in my ear a few years later, around 13 I think.

"Hunter. How did you get the scar?" I sighed. I knew she would persist until I answered the question, I couldn't avoid her forever.

"Belos gave it to me." I saw her eyes widen out of the corner of my eye as I looked just past the scroll, not staring at anything in particular. "I failed a really important mission, I forget what it is now. But when I got back, my hands cut up and covered in mine and my other coven mates' blood, and without the rest of my team for the mission, he was mad." I felt myself begin to shake, so I put down my scroll, hoping Willow wouldn't notice.

I let out a shaky breath and continued speaking. "He uhm- He slashed across my chest and in- into my cheek..." I took a deep shaky breath. "The scar on my chest reaches from my shoulder, all the way down to my waist." I felt tears roll down my cheeks, bringing back memories of the blood dripping into the throne room floor, that and my hyperventilating sobs the only thing filling the room.

"Hunter?" The silence broke at last, and I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.
"Y-" My voice cracked, and I cleared my throat. "Yeah?"

"You can talk more about it if you need to get it off your chest. But only if you want to, of course." I heard quiet sniffles from her end of the phone.

Is she.. crying?

I wiped my tears, and mustered up enough energy to thank her, before telling her I was going to go to bed.

"Goodnight-" I forced myself to smile, as I put my face into frame. But that smile quickly faded when I saw how I looked. My eye bags were darker than before, my eyes themselves were red and puffy, while dark streaks ran down my face from the salty tears.

"Aww Hunter, please promise me you'll at least try to sleep." Her eyebrows furrowed, and I could see a lot lighter streaks down her face.

"I promise." I smiled again, but this time it was real.

"Goodnight Caleb." Willow giggled a bit.

"Goodnight Captain." Understanding the reference, I returned the fun gesture, then hanging up.

With a promise I wanted to keep, unknowing how she would react if I broke it, I went to sleep. Or at least I tried.

————————————————————————

I rolled over onto my side, checking the time on my scroll.

3:45 am

Two hours and fifteen minutes. That's how long I would sleep if I fell asleep then, which wasn't happening. "Psst, Flapjack. You awake?" I looked over at the sleeping bird, who was resting on my nightstand.

"Chirp tweet." [I am now.] He replied with a quiet chirp, the small noise almost being drowned in the boiling rain tap-tap-tapping on the window. "Sorry." I spoke quietly, listening to the quiet taps of the rain.

"Tap tap tap."

Quite relaxing, actually.

"Tap tap tap."

Never mind, actually it's kind of annoying.

"Tap tap tap."

It almost sounds like someone trying to get my attention, but nevertheless I roll over and ignore it.

"Tap tap tap."

Unless it's a branch tapping on my window from the wind.

"Tap tap tap."

There's no trees around the castle, though.

"Tap tap tap."

Damn that really is annoying.

"Tap tap tap."

I cover my ears with my thin, uncomfortable pillow.

"Tap tap tap."

Then, all of a sudden, no more tapping. And for the first time, I was glad to hear the rain.

"BANG BANG BANG!"

What the fuck??

Following the loud bangs on my window, is a muffled voice.

"HUNTER OPEN THIS TITANDAMN WINDOW THE RAIN IS STARTING TO BURN THROUGH MY CLOAK!!" Oh titan, I recognize that loud, annoying, high pitched, squeaky- did I say loud and annoying?

Anyway, I recognized the voice. I stood up and threw open the window, the girl plopping onto the floor along with about a bucket full of boiling rain. I felt the rain seep into my socks, and burn my feet, as I walked closer to close the window.

I winced as I took off my socks, putting on new ones as I threw those into the dirty clothes pile. I turned to face the girl, everything about her agitating me.

"What do you want? I was finally relaxing enough to maybe fall asleep." I questioned the annoying girl.

"Wait, you hadn't slept yet?? You need to sleep Hunter! That's way bad for your mental and physical health!"

896 Words

HAHAHAHA I KNOW YOU ALL HATE ME IM NOT SORRY

btw have a good day or night or whatever idk 🤷

~Void 😜