XXXII. February 23rd & March 1st

"I'm telling you, this is it," she exclaimed. "I will put the entire move in cost down today if they still have it listed when we get back."

"We need to tour it first, Sweets."

"Well, yeah, that's why we're here," she snipped. She covered it with a genuine smile as she grabbed my hand and pulled me down the walkway.

In front of us was a cute blue-and-white craftsman style bungalow. The front porch was big enough for a couple chairs and the door was a muted red. The landscaping was simple, just some matured bushes that would need to be trimmed. No flowerbeds or difficult plants.

The second we stepped inside, I knew we would be applying for it. Charisma and charm seeped through every nook and cranny, from the gnarled dark hardwood floors to the crown molding. The photos were great, but didn't do the house justice.

Claire was silent as she moved through the empty house. Her eyes were shining, and her smile spoke a thousand words. My heart thumped in my chest, a reminder that I would do anything to keep that expression on her face.

She grabbed my hand and led me down the hallway. The two bedrooms were on opposite sides. The master bedroom was cozy, enough to fit a queen sized bed and our dresser. More than adequate. The second room could be an office for Claire to work from home when possible-

"Aria, the kitchen!" Claire yelled. "It's so cute!"

I jumped at her shout and jogged out of the bedroom. When I saw the kitchen, I froze in place. I knew that moving out of an apartment would mean certain spaces would be expanded, but this kitchen was massive. It had black and white tiles, like an old diner, and a matching backsplash.

"It has enough room for a dining table, honey," Claire giddily clapped in the center of the space. "We can host dinners."

I meandered over to her and loosely wrapped my arms around her waist. "So, do you think we can swing it? I don't think we can, Sweets..."

She glared at me and poked her finger into my sternum. "You know we can do it."

I grinned. "Did you notice there's a backyard?"

Her eyes turned into saucers as she whipped herself around. She closed the distance between us and the door in two steps and unlocked it, flinging it open. Outside was a fully fenced in backyard-- small, but doable. It was a little overgrown, but I knew that could be fixed.

"We could get a dog," she whispered.

"They are pet friendly," I agreed. "For an extra monthly fee."

She turned around and crossed her arms. "Why are you being so negative?"

I chuckled and pulled her in for a hug, shutting the back door. I kissed the tip of her nose and smiled. "Because you're cute when you're a brat."

She shoved me gently and rolled her eyes. She dug her phone out of her purse and dialed a number. It rang once...twice...three times. Finally, someone answered.

"We'll take it. We're on the way now to fill out the application. Cash or check?"

The ladies at Avondale Rental Agency all looked the same- odd, leathery tan; stacked bob; porcelain veneers. Their niceness was layered thick, obviously fake. When they thought we weren't looking, they whispered amongst themselves about us.

None of that mattered to me, because my girlfriend was wiggling in the seat beside me as she filled out her portion of the application. I kept my hand on her thigh as I rested my face and glared daggers towards the gossiping women. Eventually, they scattered back to their individual computers and clacked on their keyboards.