side story: Happy New Year?

AN: this has been written last minute on my phone after an entire bottle of moscato so yeehaw, loves. TW smut ig?

December 31st, 2023

"I can't believe I did that," I laughed outwards to the wintry lake. "What the hell was I thinking?"

Claire wrapped her arms around me, slinking her hands under my coat for more warmth. "You were thinking the truth. Your truth."

I sucked my teeth and shook my head before fishing my smokes out of my inside pocket. I held out the open pack to my girlfriend and she obliged. We both sparked up and sat in silence, lost in our own thoughts.

My one chance at family, and I ruined it. But...

"Why don't I feel like I fucked up?"

"Because you didn't," Claire replied simply, ashing to the left. I watched the dark gray meet the snow and imagined the sizzle.

"I mean, I guess, but---"

She cut me off with her signature 'no ma'am' look. "Do you feel lighter? Do you feel at least a little less angry?"

I nodded as a small smile teased the corners of my mouth. She grinned and kissed the tip of my nose.

"Then that's all that matters, my love."

Both of our phones started buzzing. Perplexed expressions pasted on our faces, we answered at the same time.

"Aria," cried Lorraine. "What are you doing tonight?"

I stepped away so my conversation didn't interrupt Claire's. "Probably nothing, Raine. Claire and I just got back from---"

"The funeral," Lorraine said quickly. "Even better. Drinks at Imani's!"

Both of my eyebrows hiked upwards. I turned towards Claire and blinked a few times. 'Imani's?' She mouthed. I nodded. If she rolled her eyes any harder, they would be stuck in the opposite position. She motioned for me to come back to her.

"You guys are cute," Claire huffed. "Trying to conspire for us to come over."

"What? Conspire? No," I heard Imani yell on my call with Raine.

"Oh my god," I groaned. "I don't want to sleep at Imani's."

"Be the designated driver then, fun-killer," my best friend snarkily replied.

I looked to Claire for confirmation. She shrugged. "I'm only drinking wine. Nothing else."

Well, shit.

"Jesus, kid," Lay cackled, her beer sloshing as she readjusted herself on the couch. "I didn't know you had it in you."

I chuckled and leaned backwards into the couch. Claire was sat across my lap, one hand nursing her 3rd glass of wine, the other massaging the nape of my neck in small circles. She was quiet, not contributing much to the conversation. Her solar flare irises were locked on my every move.

"I don't know, I just got up there and the words fell out," I shrugged. "Apparently it's something I needed to say. But enough of that-- it's almost midnight, you lazy drunks."

"I am not lazy," Raine slurred with an attitude.

I felt Claire shift in my lap and soon her breath was hot against my ear. The tip of her tongue traced the outside of my ear. I shivered and stifled a groan.

She stood up, fast as lightning, and grabbed my hand. "Duty calls!"

"You-- not--," Imani stuttered. "You are not having sex--- my sister in my house?"