11. DEMONS?

°°°

  Eris shook her head, taking a step back, her eyes fixed on the now-revived man. "That's...impossible," she said breathlessly, remembering what she'd read.

    Demons don't have the power to create or heal; they are beings of darkness. Their powers are often associated with destruction, manipulation, and chaos, not restoration.

"Demons can't heal others," she continued.

"They can't?" Kael questioned, tilting his head—a fake clueless expression on his face before it shifted back into a grin. "Then I guess I'm a special kind of demon."

"Who are –"

Kael, still wearing that mischievous grin, approached her, his steps echoing in the hall as he cut her off. "Impossible or not, it served its purpose. Now, you owe me a favor."

Eris scowled, her unease growing. "A favor? What kind of favor?"

Kael's gaze was penetrating as he stared at her. "I'll let you know when the time comes. For now, let's just say you have a debt to repay."

The cloaked man stepped forward. "My Lord, the rogues' bodies have been disposed of, and the surviving humans have been attended to."

"Good," Kael responded, his attention still on Eris. "Looks like we're all done here. Go and tell the men to get ready; we will be leaving soon."

The cloaked man bowed, acknowledging Kael's command, and swiftly left the hall. Eris, still grappling with the perplexing turn of events, couldn't shake off the feeling that she had gotten involved in something she wasn't supposed to.

Great, her escape was just going perfectly.

Kael's gaze lingered on Eris, his eyes filled with a mixture of amusement and calculation. "Now, about that favor," he began, and Eris narrowed her eyes. "I can decide to collect it anytime, but if you're not there, then how can I? So you must be with me till I decide to use my favor, you know what that means, right?"

"You're crazy. What makes you think I will follow you like some obedient servant?" Eris glared at him, her tone defiant as it went a few octaves higher.

Kael chuckled, the sound sending a shiver down Eris's spine. "I never said to follow me like an obedient servant; I just said it was required that you follow me because of the favor." He smirked, "You can call it a matter of life and death, or let's say, your survival depends on it."

Eris frowned, the unsettling realization that she might not have much of a choice hitting her like a ton of bricks. "What if I refuse?"

Kael's grin widened, revealing a hint of pointed canines. "Refusal means consequences. I wouldn't want anything unfortunate to happen to you, especially after I went through the trouble of saving that injured human for you."