18 | Pity Party (Part I)

📍 Manchester, Jamaica | Newport

The Next Day | Saturday, August 6th

2:30 PM

My father has been calling me all week, and I have ignored every call.

Why him nuh call him other pickney dem?

This morning alone, I received ten calls from him, so I decided to block him to avoid the stress.

Whatever he has to say to me...he can send it via courier pigeon.

My focus today was only for my daughter's birthday party, not Samson West.

I always hear people say that weddings and funerals bring out the worst in humans.

But yuh neva hear dem talk bout birthdays.

Birthdays were the real evaluator of friendships, it put all familial and romantic relationships in your life up to the test.

People nuh fraid fi show dem ass when it comes to birthdays...

If today was a real test, mi hope everybody nuh dunce out.

"Rai, how yuh want di balloon dem fi stay? Cause we out yasso and confuse" Melody groans, pushing her head into the kitchen.

I look up at her, her body resting on the back door post, as the bass from the outside stereos comes through the crack in the door.

Party not even start yet, and di vibes ah gwaan.

"Ah three ah unuh out deh enuh? Three brains and six hands, how unuh confuse?" I jokingly reply, stepping over towards the fridge to place a dessert tray in.

"Girl...we ah hot gyal, not event planners. We need di likkle help and guidance ah beg" she answers with a laugh.

Since when ah dolly couldn't do both?

I was currently trying to do my last-minute set up for Lailah's cake and dessert table, but I wanted to make sure they also got the help they needed.

Cause dem neva haffi do dis fi we.

Lailah aunty dem love her bad.

"Alright, mi ah come" I assure her, walking over to the kitchen pipe to wash my hands off.

She shoots me a grin, clapping her hands excitedly as she opens the back door for me to step outside before her.

Immediately my eyes struggle to find a point of focus, a rush of gratitude flows over my body when I begin to process what I am seeing.

How dem do dis so fast?

Then dem send har fi come trick mi.

"Yuh love lie eessi, bout unuh need help" I exclaim, slapping at Mel's arm lightly with my hands.