into the light

A.N : italics is japanese btw :)
also hi guys i'm nat, i write on ao3 usually under the name captainnatasha183 but i decided to share some of my works here (so no this is not someone stealing my works, it's hhst straight up me) and the first one i have chosen to share is a hoonki work i did a few months ago that was received really well. so i hope u enjoy <33

Riki has never been good at maintaining relationships or at least that's what he has begun to believe. You would think that being born not necessarily mortal would give you plenty of time to learn about how the world and the people in it work, but no. He was just as clueless and lost about it as any other seventeen year old.

Except Riki is not just any other seventeen year old. Every normal seventeen year old doesn't have retractable fangs and an occasional thirst for blood because your body will try and kill you without it. Riki is a vampire, well half-vampire at least. His dad is one but his mother isn't.

Vampires exist, some people have their stories about them, others think it's all bullshit but Riki knows that the people with their stories are likely telling the truth.

There are much more vampires in the world than people think but society has always been taught to fear supernatural things or just things they don't understand. Riki blames the media for the reputation perpetuating vampires as scary and bad creatures that would murder you at any given chance to drain your blood. The only movie he doesn't blame so much for it is Twilight, but the shit they included about vampires glittering in the sunlight is downright unforgivable and Riki will always hate those movies for it.

Yeah, vampires can tolerate the sunlight just like a normal person can except they can't stay in it too long, not because they'll burn up but because just like normal people the chances of sunburn exist and Riki's only half-vampire anyway, he's pretty sure that he can still contract skin cancer.

His parents always let him be proud of his abilities and explore them but only at home. In public Riki was just like every other kid, especially at school since if students at his school found out they would freak out and with the use of social media nowadays, it would undoubtedly be a story everywhere. Some would doubt it, some wouldn't but it would definitely lead to an exposure and scrutiny for vampires when they already get more than enough. He's kind of like the demi-gods from the Percy Jackson books; he got some of the cool powers of his dad but some things he missed out on.

His mother was who his dad fed from, it was always a little and it clearly never hurt. Riki would just always clear out of the room if he saw the exhausted red glow in his dad's eyes when he came home and his mother would always quickly jump up to greet him. Riki would always find them cuddled together asleep on the couch afterwards, his dad's head comfortably resting on his mother's shoulder and sometimes a bloody napkin on the coffee table. But Riki would just fondly smile and drape a blanket over them before throwing the napkin away. He couldn't imagine that getting to know and falling in love with a vampire was easy but his parents made it work; there was so much love between them and Riki could only hope for that one day.

He can't fly or control peoples' minds in the way that his dad does. He definitely doesn't have the extended life span— not immortality that a lot of people believe vampires have or at least his dad initially had. It's what he gave up to marry Riki's mom because he said he didn't want to spend years more wandering this earth without his true love by his side and Riki completely understood that sentiment.

A world without being loved or feeling loved felt like a terribly cold and miserable one. Riki's never great at being all sappy and emotional but if there's one thing he wants in life it's to tell the people he loves that he loves them even if he won't get that same thing back.