Chapter 21

I had no idea what I was going to tell my parents. Or Hayden. Him especially. I'd broken the biggest rule between me and my twin brother. A part of me felt like absolute shit. What I did- sleeping with Landon Avery and, worst of all, falling for him- forgiveness didn't seem possible.

Then there was the other part of me. The part of me that knew in my heart that this was right. That what Landon and I have is real despite how it came about. Enemies to lovers. Cliché but real nonetheless.

The feeling of Landon squeezing my hand, as we made our way into the restaurant where his father was waiting, ended my thoughts. All of my attention went to him. He was nervous. Really nervous.

He told me about his father's drinking problem on the way over and the divorce his mom had threatened him with if he didn't get the help he needed.

I squeezed Landon's hand back. His gaze dropped down to our entwined hands before raising to meet my reassuring gaze. His facial features softened, and the worry in his blue eyes slowly faded. "I'm glad you got on that plane," he murmurs.

Smiling, we head inside. The hostess, having been expecting us, leads us through the five-star restaurant where a man sat waiting. While I thought Landon looked more like his mother, I could see the resemblance with his father. They had the same dark hair and deep-set gaze.

Mr. Avery's eyes flit from his wife to his son before settling on me. His intimidating gaze has me nervous. I pull my gaze from his just as Landon leans in to whisper in my ear. "Don't worry, freckles. I won't let him scare you away."

"Who says I'm scared?" I question, not sounding too convincing.

Landon passes a knowing glance in my direction before his attention is pulled away by his father's demanding voice. "Landon."

"Hey, dad." Landon's lost the confidence I'm used to. His voice is a little softer, and he's having a hard time making eye contact.

"Well, what are you waiting for, boy? Introduce me to your pretty girlfriend."

I don't correct him for referring to me as Landon's girlfriend. I'm too focused on how uncomfortable he makes me feel that I find myself leaning in closer to Landon.

Landon takes a breath as if he's trying to restrain himself from making a rude remark. "Dad, this is Harper. Harper, this is thee John Avery." There's a mocking tone in his introduction. Everyone, including his father, notices. His frown deepens.

I've heard about John Avery. He's a part of some big stock company. He's pretty damn wealthy. Worth as much as my dad.

We all take a seat at the table. I tug at the hem of the white sundress Landon's mom let me borrow. A waiter stops by our table before a conversation can begin. I ordered a Sprite, while Landon and his mother stick with the glasses of water already on the table.

The waiter turns to Mr. Avery. "And for you, sir?"

"Bourbon. Neat." Mrs. Avery shakes her head in disappointment. Landon scoffs. The waiter steps away. Mr. Avery brings his attention back to me and Landon. "So, is this what's distracting you from making it to the pros? Pussy?"

Offended and outraged at the misogynist across from me, I opened my mouth to say something. Landon beats me to it. "Watch your fucking mouth," he growls.

"Landon," his mother scolds.

He doesn't look her way, his eyes pinning Mr. Avery with a hard glare. Mr. Avery doesn't seem fazed. In fact, he smiles a crooked smile.

An unwelcome chill skitters down my spine. I shift uneasily. Now I see why Landon's having such a hard time. His father is insufferable.

The waiter assigned to our table returns with everyone's drinks. He begins to pour Mr. Avery's glass only for him take the bottle.