Chapter 9

My summer break went from shitty to great in a short span of weeks. Miles and I are doing great. I finally started my job at the floral shop with my aunt Haley, which has been super fun. This summer may just be the best one yet. Especially because I haven't seen Landon's stupid face since the ice cream shop.

It's Sunday night and family dinner just came to an end. Everyone had just shifted over to the living to prepare for family game night. My dad's splitting everyone up into two teams. Old School versus New School.

Team Old School had my parents, my uncle Everett, my aunt Ivy, and our family friend Zack. While Team New School had me, my sister Adeleine, Mason and his girlfriend Harlynn, and my cousin Flynn.

My mom and my aunt Ivy were super excited about being on the same team and were determined to crush my team. My family has always been competitive when it comes to family game night. And sometimes, I think they take it a little too seriously.

"Okay, family," my dad began, clasping his hands together. Everyone stopped their side conversations to give my dad their full attention. "So, the first game we're playing is Charades. The most correct guesses before the time runs out wins."

Each team chose their team captain. My mom for team Old School, and Harlynn for team New School.

When the game began, Old school went first. As soon as my mom picked a card up from the deck on the coffee table, the countdown began.

In just ten seconds, Team Old School went through six cards. They shouted out every possible guess, my aunt Ivy correctly guessing every card that my mom dished out. Their teamwork was incredible. It pissed off my brother Mason, who accused aunt Ivy of cheating.

She wasn't cheating. He was a sore loser and she was just that good.

Exactly one minute goes by, and the timer starts blaring loudly. My mom counts her cards. Eleven is the number to beat. Proud of their score, everyone on team Old School cheers and high-fives one another.

Our team is up next. We are even more determined to beat our opponents now. Harlynn walks up to the front of the room. Mason cheers her on. "Come on, baby. You got this."

She smiles, takes a deep breath, and picks up the first card. We start off rocky, failing to guess the first three cards Harlynn picks up.

With twenty seconds gone and we have yet to accumulate a single point, I start to think our team's going to lose.

"Cat!" Mason guesses.

Harlynn shakes her head, trying her best to act out her word without speaking.

None of us can seem to figure out what she's doing, so we pass. We move on to the next card and guess correctly. Bartender.

She moves on to the next. We guess that one correctly too. And by the time the alarm goes off, we have guessed ten correctly. It wasn't enough to beat our opponents but we were still pretty proud of ourselves.

Old School: 1

New School: 0

My dad explains the next game. We all were quite familiar with the game Song of Association, but he still likes to go over the rules. 

After that game ends, New School is now tied with Old School thanks to Harlynn and Mason. They were the music experts of the group.

This last game, Jenga, was the most intense game when it came to family game night. It's led to plenty of fist fights and an exchange of colorful words. It was so bad this one time that my dad almost banned the game from family game night.

And anybody who knows our family can probably guess what two knuckleheads almost ruined it for us. Mason and Silas. Those two are always fighting.

"So, what's the plan?" My cousin Flynn asked.