Chapter 12 - 45 Seconds

-JOHN MARKFORD'S POV-

I bring my car up to the massive building to where I had been working for twenty-two years. I groan to myself, driving my car up to the keypad and typing in the code and waiting a few seconds for the agent to ask who I was, "Name and reason for arriving?" The operator asks me through the static-filled speaker.

"Yeah, John Markford. Here for bringing Zephrilia Garner." I answer, taking a few sips of my beer as I wait for them to fill in the information before opening the door in front of me.

"Alright, please meet with Mr. Eisenhower at A314, eastbound." The operator says before the doors in front of me open and I slowly make my way through them into the large garage area with a sign in each area. I drive myself over to A314, noticing they've already established a total of twelve workers to bring her inside.

"She's inside the back. I got her tied up, but you should probably handcuff her also just incase she wants to get feisty." I call out to them as they open my back doors and pull her out, instantly sedating her with a syringe and cuffing her ankles and wrists.

"Come with us." One of the men order, and I groan in exhaustion.

"Right, let me park." I roll my window back up, taking my way to the nearest parking spot and strolling over next to them as they place her groggy-self on a stretcher and pulling her into the front area met with a small counter and a receptionist at her computer.

"Zephrilia Garner, age twenty, birthdate: February 9th, 1999. She's here for testing on the dishonti disc." A man says to the female receptionist. The woman begins to type, turning her office chair around to the small table behind her and grabbing a small wrist band from the mini printer.

"How long will she be here?" She asks.

"Long term." The man states before putting the wrist band on her body. The receptionist nods, typing once more.

"Room A3678, 2nd floor. Mr. Instago will be there to help you." She replies, opening up the elevator directly in front of us. We all stroll into the large elevator, now bringing ourselves to the second floor and rushing to the room, a chilly air making me shiver as I speed walk next to the stretcher.

I bring myself into the room, a large window separating us from the barren room in front of us; almost like those insane asylum rooms.. except more torture like. I look over to the employees who grab Zeph and pull her into the room through the almost futuristic-like sliding door. I bring myself to one of the chairs, watching as they set her down to sit on the floor, almost looking drunk in her sway.

After a few minutes, Mr. Instago comes through the door and makes eye contact with me, "You're the one that brought her in, correct?"

"Yeah. I'm John Markford. I'm guessing you're the owner of the operation?" I bring my hand out for him to shake, which he silently rejects and continues the conversation.

"Yes, sir. I'm actually going to be conducting our first test in five minutes. If you'd like, I'd love for you to observe.. Just so we can have someone be a witness to this once in a lifetime operation." He offers, bringing his hands into the pockets of his lab coat with a soft smile.

"Oh, yeah. Loved to." I answer. He gives a slight smile before moving his white hair behind his wrinkled ears and grabbing a head cap over his scalp.

"Got it, you're free to be anywhere in this room. Just don't go inside the room where she is.. We don't want any problems." He warns as he pulls the gloves over his scarred hands. I give a slight nod, pulling out my phone and checking the time: 10:49 a.m.

Another scientist moving a wheeled surgical table into the room, multiple containers, syringes, and medical supplies organized on the tray, "Sir, we're ready."