Chapter 11-reunion

Start from the beginning

I glance at the boys before going after her. I nearly fall into the sand because suddenly it's going down hill.

When I arrive inside, the girl is standing there and waiting for all of us to get inside.

It takes the boys a bit to get inside. We all gather in front of the girl and wait for her to start explaining.

I guess we are safe in here for now. It looks like an old shopping mall. It's silent in here.

The girl looks at me for a few seconds.

"I am Teresa. You don't remember me but I know you, all of you."

Again here eyes land on me. What's going on? Does she want to tell me something?

"I know you all have questions, but first of all please let me talk to my sister." she looks almost pleading.

My eyes widen. I gasp.

"Sister?" I ask her shocked.

She smiles, there are tears forming in her eyes again.
"Yeah. I missed you, Ruby."

I feel tears burning in my eyes too. I don't remember her, but I know that she is telling the truth. And I feel like crying.

I run up to her and hug her. Tightly we hold on to eachother. She cries into my shoulder and I let a few tears fall too.

I have a sister. I have a family. She's wonderful.

"I'm so sorry." she cries "I wanted to get you out of there sooner, but I couldn't."

"Don't be sorry, you safed us." I tell her. I feel the urge to make her feel happy.

"We are not safe yet." she whispers "But I won't let anything happen to you from now on. I love you, Ruby."

Even though I don't remember her, I know that I love her too. She's my sister.

"I love you too."

She laughs. I smile at her. My sister.

"Now I think I owe you an explanation. You better sit down." Teresa lets go of me and turns to the gladers behind me.

My friends and Thomas are smiling at us. They are happy for me.

We all sit down in a circle. I sit between my sister and my boyfriend. Thomas lays his hand on my thigh softly. I lean against him.

Teresa looks at us and smiles. Then she take a deep breath.

"I don't know where to start. I will tell you about the world first. It's important for you to understand the situation we are in and why you are special. I'll tell you the short version."

"A long time ago solar eruptions destroyed big parts of the world and made it what it is now. The scorch. Then the flare came. A deadly virus that turns people into zombie like creatures. It takes their humanity."

"The flare killed ninety nine percent of the world population. It's unstoppable and there's no cure. But there are people who get it but aren't affected by it. The immunes. Only very few people are immune against the flare."