Chapter 19-the hospital

"Take his legs!"

"Keep pressure on his shoulder!"

My vision is blurry because I am crying so hard. Loud voices give orders around me.

They manage to lay Thomas onto a wooden board and rush down the stairs. Teresa takes my hand and together we run after them.

"Jorge! Where are we taking him!" Jeff says in a very upset tone. "He needs medical help!"

"I know!" Jorge snaps at him while trying to get through the crowd.

"Not far from here is an old hospital. There'll be medical equipment." Brenda tells them.

The girl seems worried as hell. Even in my state I can sense her fear.

Ethan doesn't look much better. He tries to help the others but can't really do much.

I can't lose him. I can't.

I catch a glimpse of him. His eyes are closed. His jacket is bloody.

We get out of the building and take a turn left before running down the street.

Minho, Jorge and Fry are carrying the board. Jeff is putting pressure on the bullet wound. Ethan, Teresa and I are trying to keep up with them. The others follow Brenda.

After two minutes of running, the hospital gets in sight. It's a tall white building with broken windows and a big hole in the wall of the second floor.

It for sure doesn't look welcoming. But all I care about right now is Thomas.

He still doesn't move.

"Teresa, I'm scared." I whisper to my sister. Tears keep rolling down my cheeks.

She nods and presses my hand tighter. She has tears beaming in her eyes too.

Brenda kicks the door open and Jorge and the others carry Thomas inside. We rush into one of the hallways.

Brenda checks the rooms and chooses one. We close the door behind us.

Immediately I stumble forward and help them to lay Thomas onto one of the beds. The blanket turns red from all the blood almost instantly.

Jorge, Minho and Newt step back and look at Thomas with shocked and frightened expressions. They are done for now.

Everything depends on Jeff, Teresa and I. We are the only ones who know how to help him.

Jeff is still putting pressure on the wound. I help him with taking off Thomas' jacked and shirt.

It looks worse than before. I can't see the wound properly because of all the blood.

"We have to take the bullet out of his shoulder!" I say even tho they already know that.

"Teresa, pass me something to get it out." I say over my shoulder.

Due to my memory loss and the lack of medical equipment in the maze I have no idea what kind of tools to use or what they are called.

Luckily Teresa knows what I mean and gives me everything she can find.

Every mistake I do from now on could kill him. It's in my hands.

-

I don't know how long it takes for us to take out the bullet, treat the wound and clean it up but when it's done I'm exhausted.

The others are sitting with their backs against the wall. They all look tired. Ethan is the only one standing. He went to Thomas' bed immediately when we were done.

I didn't leave him either. Together we watch Thomas concerned.

I look over to Brenda and Jorge for a moment. They are standing by the window, probably checking if there are any cranks outside.

The girl has dark bags under her eyes. From the lack of sleep and the drugs I guess.

I daubt that I look any better right now.

The only thing keeping me from a mental breakdown is Thomas' hand in mine. I can see his chest move up and down so I know he's alive.

He's alive.

I did everything I could. Hopefully he will wake up soon. We're not safe in here.

I go through my hair with my shaking hand and try to blink the tears away.

He could have died today and it's my fault. If I wouldn't have punched that man then his friend wouldn't have tried to shoot me.

I wasn't myself. Normally I don't do stuff like this.

But maybe this is exactly who I am. Maybe I just am a bad person. Someone who hurts others all the time.

I even attacked Thomas.

I can't explain it. Everytime I get angry, I just don't have control over myself anymore.

It's like something is controlling my mind.

I caress Thomas' hand with my thumb. He shows no reaction. His face stays the same.

I look at his messy hair, his pale face. He still looks like the prettiest person in the world to me.

How could I ever hurt this boy?

Winston and Fry stand up and take my attention away from my sleeping boyfriend.

"We are gonna search for some food." Fry announces.

They are halfway at the door when I get up too.

"Wait, I'll come with you."

They nod at me and I follow them out of the room.

I can't look at Thomas any longer. It hurts to see him in a state like this.

We walk down the hallway and into the first room we see. There are multiple boxes and medical supplies in here. The room is connected to another room but the door is closed.

I begin to open the boxes. There is mostly stuff we don't need. Like tools and papers.

Suddenly we hear something from the door that leads to another room.

It sounds like someone is trying to open it. I share a quick glance with Winston.

Then the door opens, revealing a woman and two men.

They notice us and freeze.

They point their guns at us immediately but the woman quickly mentions for them to lower their weapons.

The men are wearing old and dirty clothes. I don't think they come from Wicked. One of them is carrying a bag with what looks like bandages.

The woman has brown hair and kind eyes. She watches us confused. When her eyes land on me they widen slightly.

She swallows before speaking.

"Ruby?"

A/n:

Yayy he made it!

Looks like I'm updating more at the moment. There might be some spelling mistakes tho, I haven't corrected it yet.

Hope you liked it xx