18. Reluctant Participation

Another school day... but finally, I can stop wearing thick sweaters, trousers, and warm boots, as it's already the end of March. It's warm enough that I don't have to hide in a ton of clothing from the snow and cold. I finally started to look fabulous again, that is, wearing my usual spring-summer-autumn outfit, only with the addition of yellow ribbons that simply looked splendid on me. I also sometimes wore a cap given to me by Fukase, adorned with a ribbon as well... Our dress code was quite relaxed, only prohibiting overly short and "sexual outfits", super shiny things, or anything with obscene expressions or calls for dangerous actions, and flip-flops were banned, but sandals with socks were allowed. My clothing wasn't banned, so all was good, I only took off the hat when teachers were displeased, considering it disrespectful, and I didn't want to offend them. But classes were over, so I could freely put my hat on my head and be a cute sailor!

   And Fukase also wore his hat, looking like... a magician... although his hat was taller, which the teachers disliked even more. But he would say: "Who cares, we're a duo!". Duo – it's more of a musical term, it didn't really fit us... until today...

   – Hey...! – the ringing voice of our music teacher called out from behind Fukase and me as we stood at our lockers, chatting.

   We both turned our heads towards the teacher, and she quickly approached us and stood next to Fukase, smiling joyfully.

   – Hello... is something wrong? – asked Fukase, standing up straight in front of the woman.

   – Oh, congratulations! I'm so glad you finally decided to perform! It's so cool, I've been waiting for this! Have you chosen a song yet? I can recommend some that you sang best! Although, I think Nana is writing the lyrics? Anyway, come over... I'll consult with you! – the woman said, her smile never leaving her face.

   – Wh-what? – Fukase asked, baffled and stepping back from her slightly.

   He stood there for a moment, then grabbed my hand and swiftly pulled me away. We went to the staircase and stopped at the auditorium door. Attached to the door was a sheet that read: "Show your talents! Come alone or with a group to Room 105, sign up and perform on April 30th! For more details, contact one of our school parliament representatives – Rin Kagamine."

   – Bitches... – he blurted out, then sat down on the floor, covering his head with his hands, – Can't believe it... And then they call themselves friends, yeah!

   – Hey, maybe you got it wrong... – I suggested, guessing what was going on, – We can find out in Room 105, shall we go?

   He stood up and, grabbing my wrist, dragged me to the first floor where the room we were looking for was located. Knocking on the door, he quickly entered, and I followed. There we were, standing in front of a small sofa, which we were supposed to sit on, but we just stood at its back, looking at Rin sitting opposite us on the couch with a plush orange beside her.

   – Oh, look who's here...! – the girl exclaimed, putting down the book she was reading before we arrived, – Hello, Fukase, hello Oliver! What brings you here?

   – You know why we're here! – Fukase loudly protested, hitting the back of the couch, – Take me off this list, I'm not participating in this nonsense!

   The girl reached for a folder from a nearby cabinet. Opening it, she pulled out a sheet and, after a glance, replied with a sly smile:

   – There are five of you in the team, I can't remove you without the team's consent!

   – Ah, so I was just signed up without asking, and now it's "sorry, we need everyone's consent" to leave? Great, just great! – Fukase fumed, his face turning as red as a tomato. I placed my hand on his shoulder, trying to calm him down a bit.