5. Homemade Lunch

Another Monday... I'd say it's a drag since school can be quite challenging for me, but I have friends there, and with them, it's fun. This morning, however, I was just too exhausted, so I quietly lay on my desk, listening to the conversations around me. I was tired because I had been drawing until one in the morning, creating cute designs for toys. Christmas was still three months away, but I wanted to get all the work done in advance, as sewing these toys is quite a task... I planned to give cute plush toys to my friends for the New Year, which would be sweet. So far, I had only decided on a toy for Nana, while the sketches for the others had ended up in the trash. The biggest mystery to me was what to get Fukase. I had no clue what he might like, he never mentioned anything... Maybe he's into animals, plants, or just some specific things? I don't know! But I need to find out. I should spend more time with him during lunch!

   – Hello, Fukase... – Defoko's calm voice sounded, and I immediately lifted my head from the desk.

   Near the teacher's desk stood Fukase, who had been heading to his seat but froze in place at Defoko's greeting, as if not understanding why he was being greeted.

   – Uhm... Hi? – he responded, slightly confused, averting his gaze from the girl and continuing towards his seat.

   He was limping slightly and moving quite slowly. It looked painful.

   Defoko stood up from her desk and reached for her violin case. Opening it, she took out the familiar cane and extended it to the redhead. He looked at the cane with confusion, then at the girl.

   – Defoko thought it wouldn't be cool to make Fukase walk with a sore leg, so instead of going to church, Defoko sneakily walked along the river. Defoko found the cane at a bend in the river, it drifted away from the current and got stuck on the bank... Defoko hopes Fukase's leg will get better soon, but he needs the cane for now. – After explaining, Defoko grabbed the guy's hand and placed the cane in it.

   The guy stared at the cane in his hand, his expression a mix of confusion, bewilderment, slight panic, and aversion.

   – T-th... I... I mean... I want to say... – he stammered, somewhat shyly looking at the girl opposite him. It seemed hard for him to articulate what he wanted to say, – th... thanks...

   Defoko simply nodded in response and sat back at her desk. Fukase, as if in a daze, stood for a while before finally sitting down at his desk, staring blankly at it.

   – How's your leg? Does it hurt much? Did you go to the hospital? – I asked, turning to my neighbor.

   – I... don't know? – he replied, glancing at me and absentmindedly picking at his arm as if he didn't even notice, – I'm just a bit... tired, haha... sorry... my leg is fine, it's just a bruise!

   – Alright then... be careful. – I responded, not turning away, just continuing to watch him. He pretended not to notice, continuing to pick at his arm.

   Yesterday he seemed to speak quite well, yes, he was aloof as always, but he spoke openly, bravely, and cheerfully. Today, it's as if he's swallowed his tongue. Maybe he finds it hard to be in school? Or is it because of the kind, or rather neutral, attitude towards him? Maybe he's not used to that? In any case, I felt sorry for him and wanted to help with all my might... if only I knew why I felt this urge, but it's there, and that's most important.

***

   – Yay! Tomato soup day! – exclaimed Nana, rushing into the cafeteria, – Can't wait for the food schedule voting, I'm definitely voting to keep it! If I find out any of you vote against, I'll be mad!