12. Broken Prohibition

– Please, please, please! – I whined, sitting at the dining table across from Yohi.

   My brother looked at me with dissatisfaction, as if disappointed that I wanted to go to a friend's sleepover birthday party. Tomorrow, December 8th, Piko turns 13, and he invited me over. I can't miss it, this will be the first birthday party I attend in four years, and it even includes a sleepover!

   – No... – Yohi firmly said, sipping his coffee, – Oli, I haven't even seen your friends. Who knows who you might be mingling with... We received a letter from Lola for Lily, stating that this month "they" are searching for us in the small towns of this state, and here all the towns are small. So, this month we should stay put, not venturing out.

   – But we won't be going out, we'll be at home! – I tried to convince him, but he was adamant.

   – Yeah, right. But if they accidentally discover one of us, we'll have to run immediately, and if you're not at home, I can't leave, because I won't abandon you. You are staying home as much as possible this December...

   – B-but... what about my birthday on the 21st? Am I going to miss out on the celebration?

   – No, you'll celebrate at home with me and Lily. The discussion is over! – he sternly said.

   I didn't argue any further. I understand his fear, but it's unlikely they'll check every house! And they don't have the means to request anything from the police or other important people, they're from Russia, Americans won't give them anything! They couldn't even properly extradite us!

   – Alright... – I said softly, getting up from the table with a saddened face, – See you later...

   – Yeah, see you... – the guy said, grabbing his bag and, walking into the entrance hall, putting on his winter jacket with a fluffy collar, – Don't go out, I'm locking you in.

   He kissed me on the forehead and left the house, slamming the door and turning the key a couple of times. Watching him through the window, walking away briskly, I sighed heavily. About 5 minutes later, I saw Fuka in the distance. He was wearing a warm, soft, white coat, red thin gloves, his usual grey thin pants with stains, under which, apparently, were warm black tights, and a fluffy dark-red skirt worn over the pants. His boots were small black ankle boots with a small heel. He approached the window near the entrance, gesturing for me to open it, but I spread my arms helplessly. My brother had installed locks on all the windows of the first and second floors to make it harder to get in or out for those who don't have keys. He did this just yesterday when I first mentioned Piko's birthday. I never thought one could be so fast.

   Grabbing the first piece of paper and a marker I could find, I quickly wrote: "All windows are locked, except mine. If you have any ideas on how to climb in when we return – I can jump out there... if you catch me :D". I held the note up to the glass, and Fuka, squinting and barely making out my handwriting, read it, pondered, and nodded. I grabbed my warm, huge jacket, and then took long boots. Going up to my room, I opened the window and looked down. Fuka was already waiting for me, standing on that strange roof between the second and third floors. I threw my stuff out, meaning the jacket, boots, and bag, then climbed onto the window and prepared to jump. Fuka stretched out his arms, ready to catch me... he was obviously nervous, evident in his trembling and very focused gaze, but I, casting aside all doubts, jumped, and Fuka caught me in his arms, almost falling. As my feet slowly touched the ground, I hugged Fuka tightly, causing him to laugh.

   – Get dressed quickly, you'll freeze! – he exclaimed, handing me my jacket.

   – Thanks! – I exclaimed, taking the jacket and putting it on. I did the same with the boots and then slung the bag over my shoulder.