Chapter Six

Mulai dari awal

"I do everything because I love you. You're good enough, you have a boyfriend, a good life. Two great brothers. A shit for brain's father and a dead mother." He pauses, snickering then followed with a deep sigh.

"But, your life is a lot better than others." My father looks at me, watching me cry. "I'm so tired", I whisper, closing my eyes. "I know". Our first and last heart to heart conversation.

A bright light engulfed my vision. Something loudly beeping beside me. Shit, Is this heaven oh god I died didn't I?

"She's awake", I heard a voice speak. "Jesus? Oh god I really went to heaven". I try sitting up, losing my bearings and my arms giving out. I fell back with a loud thud. I huffed out a breath, feeling the wind being knocked out of me. Others rushed to my side. Over what seemed to be a hospital bed.

God, if this is what heaven looks like. Send me straight to hell. James and Adrian leaned over the bed. Noticing the phone pressed to James' ear. "She's awake, Sir". He spoke into the phone.

He puts his phone on speaker. "Aleah, stai bene?" Mr. Esposito's voice caught me off guard. I reached out for the phone, "Sto bene, solo stanco", a part of me lying to him. Tired wasn't quite the word to describe how I felt. "I'm going to knock some sense into that boy". He spoke trying to make me feel better: I held back a laugh.

"I disobeyed Sir, it's entirely my fault. I overstepped my boundaries." I soothed the idea to Mr. Esposito. James' staring at me – like I had twenty heads. Covering for Marco, backed my own ass up.

Honestly, I knew if I told the truth. I knew what would happen. "How long have I been out for?" I ask clearly, trying to detour the conversation. "A week", a surprised look framing my face.

"Marco got a call, moments after he left you. We got to you within the hour. By the time we rushed you to the hospital. The doctors continued to monitor you. Then, four days ago, the medication stopped working". James pauses, looking away from me.

"You had a massive infection lining the tissue. Luckily, you're alive and talking to us now." Concern and anger crossing his face. Mr. Esposito sighs, "You need to switch Aleah". Mr. Esposito suggests.

Absolutely not, I'd rather get shot than deal with unpredictable people. "That's not necessary sir". Mr. Esposito knew how my father was. He took in a walking target, I couldn't risk moving again. Not now, not ever.

"Regardless of what's happening, I need you down here in Italy. We have a mission for you". Not even five minutes from waking and already a mission awaiting its rightful owner. "I'll see you soon sir".

The line grew quiet, I handed James' phone back over. "When?" James, ruffles his gray hair. Shoving his phone in his pocket. "Today, Italian imports are booming".

"Call the nurse", I demand, staring at my bandaged leg.

I say sitting up this time gaining my bearings. I felt the sudden rush to my head. Today was going to fucking suck. Thirty minutes later I sat in the back of an expensive SUV. "How long?" I kept it short, my head began aching once I relaxed.

"Depends, Marco clearly didn't take care of anything before Mr. Esposito left for Italy. So, a few weeks give or take". Adrian answers, while James directed him to the airport. Italy, a place that I never really visited. A father who hated his entire background.

Made sure, he wouldn't go back. In all honesty, Italy is one of the last places I never expected to visit again. "Shit, Marco's here". Adrian pulls his sunglasses up, placing them over his short black hair.