**Chapter 39 ANSWERS TO ONE'S HEART

CADENCE POV

I decided to find the answers that I was looking for and took a drive alone. I learned that I couldn't trust anyone, not even Eloise who was misguided by her father for so long. I needed to go on this mission alone. On a side note, the drive was beautiful as always and with the winter in January hitting slightly, the cool breeze drifted into the skies. The leaves cascaded beautifully alongside the road. It was early January, so the snow hadn't come yet. I finally swerve into the driveway of my parent's house and arrive at the destination. The dog comes barking again, but I forgot the name my parents gave him (I'll have to ask again). "Hey, Spooky!" I gave him a nickname for the spooky season and petted his head. "Yes, that's a good boy!" I gave him some more pets and a big hug too. My dad approaches me from the entrance to the house and asks me if I want some hot tea. "Do you want some hot tea or hot chocolate, honey?" he asks curiously. I respond with a "No, I'm okay. I'm here with some burning questions on my mind."

"What's wrong, honey?" my mother asks me worriedly. "Well, it's a long story but the Kensington Academy knows I am an alchemist now...so the secret's out." Mom and dad turn to look at each other and then to look at me, a smile creeping up on their faces. "That's a good thing, sweetheart, eventually the academy would have found out as read in the prophecy." Dad says, "Yes, honey, and grandmother is here to greet you as well." "Ah, well isn't it my dear granddaughter, Cadence...come here for grandmother to examine you, please, darling..." a voice is heard from the back of the kitchen and grandma waltzes her way in gracefully, slowly.

"Now, tell us everything...although we already know because long-standing alchemists can foretell the future...babies like you only have clairvoyance or slight mind-reading abilities," grandma addresses me as a baby. "So, I am guessing that the war is at a stalemate because of a possible engagement to...Eloise Fairchild...that's her name? And she is the next in line to succeed the Chancellor as heiress, correct?" Grandma reads the prophecies in her mind. "Yes, grandma, how did you know?" I gasp at her ability to foretell future events. "The prophecies in my locket proceeds to tell me so and I have a heightened sense of clairvoyance, my darling..." Grandma continues to tell me in detail her profound abilities.

"Hmm...there is another one. A girl that you have fallen for. Oh. hahahah" grandma laughs teasingly. "She is a school friend of mine that I grew up with. Her name is Zephryus, yes?" Grandma bargains an answer out of my aching heart. "Why, grandma, yes, it's true, I have feelings for her too, as she was my guardian all along and protecting me from evil. She even gave me the alchemy book and combined her locket with mine to give me full caliber ownership of my snow prowess!" I look at grandma excitedly about the news of my abilities reaching a new threshold. "Hmm...very well, here she is. Zephyrus, darling, come out from your concealed area of hiding, sweetheart..." Grandma replies to Zephyrus from the upstairs area where she abides.

"Zephyrus and I planned a rendezvous here at the Madlock household for business matters," grandma replies to me. "This was unexpected for you to meet her so soon, but this counts as your time to tell her everything." I butt in and ask grandma "Where have you been this whole time, grammy, I've missed you so much." And grandma laughs, saying, "I was here the whole time, but I had to regain my health after the vampires and werewolves were hunting us for our bloodline...they are not nice about it either..." grandma winces from the pain in her legs, probably battle wounds.

Zephyrus steps out from the shadows and paces the floors. She looks rather nervous and unsettled in her own skin. "What's wrong, Zephyrus?" I ask with fervor. "Nothing...except, you're getting engaged to the Chancellor's daughter, correct?" Zephyrus looks me up and down uneasily like she is about to puke her insides out. And she does. She starts vomiting horrendously in front of us. But food and vomit don't come out. Blood does. And lots of it. "Oh, what on earth is going on?" I shout vehemently to everyone. "She's been drinking herself to death over the matter of your engagement to the Wells Family. It doesn't seem to sit well with her." Mom barges through the space between me and Zephyrus and carries Zephyrus to the bedroom. "Honey, Cadence, in the meantime, can you take care of Zephyrus until she recovers?" Mom continues to ask me to aid an ally. "Of course, mom, I'll nurse Zephyrus back to health and we can talk more about the plans now that I am a full-time alchemist later on."