(OsiriumWrites) Breachers -I- Path of Steel - Chapter 3 (Neanderthal Tech)

Breachers – Path of Steel

3

I

Neanderthal Tech

- - -

Forty minutes later

Marcus

A while later, Marcus sat beside his mother in the car, his gaze fixed on the passing scenery outside the window. Soon, a towering building came into view on the left, capturing his attention. The colossal modern structure jutted into the skyline, its sleek silver façade reflecting the sunlight, while vibrant banners fluttered defiantly in the breeze, displaying 'Tech Expo' in clear text. He could see several people standing in front of it craning their necks to look up at the banners.

"Perhaps you could bring your brother with you next year," his mother suggested, maneuvering the car to a vacant spot near the entrance. They both observed the throngs of people gradually streaming inside, eager to experience all that awaited within. "Martin would love events like these." Her words trailed off, a hint of wistfulness in her green gaze as it settled on her son.

Marcus's chin dipped in a careful nod, tension visible in the twitch of his jaw, aware of the delicate ground he was standing on. The sound of his mother's voice echoed in his ears as she continued to talk about his little brother, praising his scientific interests and how well he was doing in school. Each word carved a fissure into his confidence, the weight of being the family's 'black sheep' settling heavier. "Sure, Mom. Next time, I'll bring him along," he muttered, hoping to ease the tension. "Felix might be able to fix an extra ticket next year," he suggested.

An uncomfortable silence settled between them as they waited for his friends to arrive. Usually, his father would drive him to such events, as he had a more flexible schedule compared to his mother, who worked as a general practitioner and had her own practice. However, on her day off, his mother had insisted on bringing him, claiming it would be a bonding experience with her eldest. 'It's like she's deliberately trying to make me feel just how disappointed she is without explicitly saying it,' he thought before he diverted his attention to the radio, focusing on the updates about a recent protest regarding a nearby solar park, the miserable weather forecast for the upcoming days, and the meteor shower that had been visible the last few days.

The car's roof suddenly shuddered because of a large thud, while Marcus and his mother shot up from their seats. As if on cue, Felix and Oscar peered through the car window with amusement. 'Idiots neatly gave me a heart attack,' Marcus thought as he shook his head, undid his seatbelt and stepped out of the car. "Thanks for the ride, Mom," he muttered, closing the car door with a thud. He waved one last time at his mother before joining his friends as they made their way toward the entrance, each friend greeting one another by fist bumping twice in a row.

"Marcus, Mommy loves you!" Liane suddenly called out to her son, freezing him in place.

In response, Felix's grin stretched, revealing a row of mischievous teeth, while Oscar's laughter bubbled up, unable to be contained. 'She just had to twist the knife, didn't she?' Marcus thought, feeling a mix of shame and resignation.

Ever the diplomat, Oscar wrapped his arms around Marcus and Felix, pulling them close as they entered the building. He handed three tickets to a female employee at the entrance, making sure his smile was extra wide. "So, gentlemen, what's the plan?" he asked while he was already steering them to the left with a determined stride.

"How about—" Felix began, only for Oscar to playfully silence him by wrapping his arm tightly around his neck, nearly choking him.

"Ah, Felix, my sweet, sweet boy. What I just offered was a rhetorical question," Oscar grinned, as they turned the corner and caught sight of a colossal Formula One driving rig equipped with VR technology in the helmet. "I've already mapped out our entire day, tailored to our preferences and, of course, your endearing low attention span," he teased, giving his friends a playful nudge while forcing them in line. "First stop, an adrenaline rush at a blistering speed of three hundred and seventy kilometers per hour. Hope you lads have brought spare underwear," he added as they edged closer to the machine.