Chapter 3: Reality of the World Outside.

Orionna was somewhat glad to be the shortest person of the group. The three taller men gave shade as they trudged along the evening desert sands. Throughout the trip, she surveyed her surroundings closely, for she never had traveled in a desert before. It seemed so novel in her mind. Sky was very cheerful as the two chatted occasionally about the sands. Meanwhile, Marix took the lead. Though both Marix and Sky appeared to navigate around extremely well, it was found safe to keep the two separated.

After a while, Sky brushed some sweat from his brow and exclaimed emphatically, “I can’t believe we’re walking in the dang desert by foot! Ori, did you need a break? I know the evening kicked in, but moving heats one up a bit.”

It was then that the others in the group realized the poor girl was trying her best to keep up with three full-grown and very tall men, two with completely impressive athletic abilities. None but Sky had noticed that ever so gradually she was less able to keep up. She felt completely embarrassed to bring up how tired she was.

Marix’s eyes narrowed at Sky for a moment. He would keep his master’s comfort in better check now that he was more aware. It irked him silently, however, that Sky had noticed the issue before he had. He had been thinking of other navigating issues.

As they took a break, Guard shot forth a shade tree with his spells. The green leaves were a nice relief despite the fact that the thick tree would die eventually from the desert conditions. Golden sand spread far across what she could see in the sunset light. Guard leaned against the tree standing as Marix sat next to it. Sky flopped down a bit away after he walked a little scouting the area. He rubbed the sweat off his face with his shirt and looked over to Orionna. “So Ori…”

She smiled at him gently. “What is it you need?” she inquired.

He then spoke as if to include the whole group in the conversation.

“Have you ever seen a battle? Come here,” he spoke as he helped her up and walked with her until they observed a sudden decline into a desert valley. She marveled that a whole town could be hidden before her eyes when just before the desert all looked flat.

“I thought I remembered a town somewhere around here,” he sighed unhappily.
Marix had followed silently behind them, catching Orionna off guard as he studied the town in careful thought himself.

“I suppose we should wait,” he advised.
Though they were a good distance away, she could barely make out faint dots within the town. Some moved quickly as others remained still in their spots. She assumed the unmoving ones to be casualties. Both Sky and Marix looked at each other as if both knew what was going on.    

Marix then reported to her, “Some Tribrinkian troops are down there. By my judgment, they have been sent to their deaths. It is typical for Nevar to send an army or two to disband rebelling groups that exist in Tribrinka’s territories, but I do see a discrepancy in this situation. The Tribrinkian troops here with their military strength and weapons when measuring it out with these rebels seems a bit too unbalanced for successful. The rebels know the layout of the land, along with having some ex-Tribrinkian soldiers. If you want both our opinions, the outcome of the battle will cancel out.”

“Cancel? Like they’ll both give up since it’s a wasted effort?” she proposed.

Both military minded men looked at her without response, trying hard not to seem disrespectful but surprised at her being so naive. She flushed slightly as a stern look ran across her face. She stared pensively at the sight before her.