Pranks from the grave

Bắt đầu từ đầu

Words weren't exchanged, but the look on Lyall's face said he so desperately wanted to say something to his son, to the be strong father he so desired to be. But one look in those warm brown eyes that were the exact same shade and shape as the woman he had spent the better part of his life loving to the core, his strength disappeared as if it was never there.

Remus gave the man a nod, a coldness to his expression before he parted to the kitchen . The two men separated like strangers, as if they didn't share DNA and a home.

Aveline felt a choke in her throat, her hand reaching to the opal necklace that hung around her neck.

"Lyall," she spoke gently, stepping forward towards the man. "It's nice to see you."

She meant it, pulling the man in for a hug and ignoring the off smell that clung to him.
He gave her a kind smile back, blood shot eyes and a shaky jaw.

"It's nice to see you too Aveline," he replied, his voice hoarse as if it hadn't been used in days. "How's Remus?"

Her eyes drifted to the kitchen, where Remus didn't even dare take a seat at the table, the boy lingering with his hands in his pockets staring out the window.

"I promise you, we will take care of him," she whispered just loud enough so Remus couldn't hear. "He's got a great group of people around him at Hogwarts. He hasn't said much in the past couple days, but everyday he seems a the littlest bit better."

The man nodded, standing similarly to Remus with his hands buried in his pockets fumbling around. "That's good," he choked. "I can't begin to tell you my thanks for looking after our boy."

"Of course," Aveline replied. "How are you though Lyall? Is there anything we can do for you?"

He shrugged his shoulders giving a little sigh, a half attempt at a smile filling his face.

"I'm alive," he chuckled simply. "Sorry about the mess," he motioned to the many plates and dust balls around him. "I'm not sure where the days have gone."

Aveline had a feeling he wasn't just talking about the past couple days since Hope's passing. Around them, her friends were settling in, hellos and greetings thrown towards Lyall all packed with much condolence and heartbreak.

Aveline felt helpless. Remus brooding in the corner, pretending to barely notice his father presence— the lack of even a singular word between the two Lupin men. If Hope Lupin was watching from the other side, she most definitely was rolling her eyes and hollering at them to get over themselves.

Aveline didn't know what she was supposed to say. Her seventeen year old brain lacking the experience of how to console a widowed husband and heartbroken son.

Then her hands found her necklace again and the words that echoed through her head were simple: what would Hope Lupin do?

"There's still a couple hours till the service," she said to Lyall. "I know Remus hasn't eaten anything today, why don't the two of you have a sit on the porch well the rest of us cook up something for lunch?"

Lyall seemed hesitant, but then gave in with a million thanks and choked up voice. She watched as the man walked over to his son, exchanging  a few words before the two of them, headed out the back door. Remus sent Aveline a slightly annoyed look, but followed his father nonetheless.

"It smells like shit in here," Sirius exclaimed once the door was closed. From beside him, Marlene smacked him on the arm. "What?" He complained. "If Hope was alive she'd agree."