02.

vol ii
chapter two

Percy Jackson doesn't know what kind of monster Dr. Thorn is, but he's fast.

Maybe he can defend himself if he can get his shield activated.
All it would take is a touch of his wristwatch. But defending the Di Angelo kids is another matter.

He needs help, and there's only one way he can think of to get it.
He closes his eyes.
"What are you doing, Jackson?" hisses Dr. Thorn. "Keep moving!"

He opens his eyes and keeps shuffling forward. "It's my shoulder," he lies, trying to sound miserable, which wasn't hard. "It burns."
"Bah! My poison causes pain. It will not kill you. Walk!"

Thorn herds them outside, and Percy tries to concentrate.
He pictures Grover's face. He focuses on his feelings of fear and danger. He'd never tried to contact Grover through the empathy link before. He doesn't even know if it will work while Grover's awake.

Hey, Grover! Thorn's kidnapping us! He's a poisonous spike-throwing maniac! Help!

Thorn inscribed them into the woods. They take a snowy path dimly lit by old-fashioned lamplights.
"There is a clearing ahead," Thorn says. "We will summon your ride."

"What ride?" Bianca demands. "Where are you taking us?"
"Silence, you insufferable girl!"
"Don't talk to my sister that way.'" Nico says. His voice quivers, but Percy's impressed that he has the guts to say anything at all.

Dr. Thorn makes a growling sound that definitely isn't human. It makes the hairs stand up on the back of Percy's neck, but he forces himself to keep walking and pretend he's being a good little captive.

Meanwhile, he projects his thoughts like crazy—anything to get Grover's attention: Grover! Apples! Tin cans! Get your furry goat behind out here and bring some heavily armed friends!

"Halt," Thorn says.
The woods have opened up. They've reached a cliff overlooking the sea.
At least, Percy senses the sea is down there, hundreds of feet below. He can hear the waves churning and smell the cold, salty froth.
But all he can see is mist and darkness.

Dr. Thorn pushes them towards the edge. Percy stumbles, and Bianca catches him.
"Thanks," he murmurs.

"What is he?" she whispers. "How do we fight him?"
"I... I'm working on it."
"I'm scared," Nico mumbles. He's fiddling with something—a little metal toy soldier of some kind.

"Stop talking!" Dr. Thorn says, "Face me!"
They turn.

Thorn's two-tone eyes glitter hungrily. He pulls something from under his coat.
At first, it looks like a switchblade, but it's only a phone. He pressed the side button and says, "The package—it is ready to deliver."
There's a garbled reply.

Percy glances behind, wondering how far the drop is.
Dr. Thorn laughs. "By all means, Son of Poseidon. Jump! There is the sea. Save yourself."

"What did he call you?" Bianca mutters.
"I'll explain later," Percy says.
"You do have a plan, right?"

Grover! He thinks desperately. Come to me!

Maybe he can get both the di Angelos to jump with him into the ocean.
If they survive the fall, he can use the water to protect them. He'd done things like that before. If his dad's in a good mood, and listening, he might help. Maybe.