12.

vol i
chapter twelve

They arrive in Long Island just after Clarisse, thanks to the centaurs' travel powers.

Percy had ridden on Chiron's back, but the two didn't talk much, especially not about Kronos.
He knew it had been difficult for Chiron to say. He didn't want to push him with more questions.
There are plenty of embarrassing parents, but Kronos, the evil titan lord who wants to destroy Western Civilization? Not the kind of dad you invite to school for career day.

When the group gets to camp, the centaurs are anxious to meet Dionysus. They'd heard he throws some really wild parties, but they're disappointed. The wine god is in no mood to celebrate as the whole camp gathers at the top of Half-Blood Hill.

The camp has been through a hard two weeks. The arts and crafts cabin had burned to the ground from an attack by a Draco Aionius (which is Latin for "really-big-lizard-with-breath-that-blows-stuff-up").

The Big House's rooms are overflowing with wounded. The Apollo cabin is working overtime performing first aid, and they have severely missed their sisters reassuring presence.

Everybody looks weary and battered as they crowd around Thalia's tree.

The moment Clarisse drapes the Golden Fleece over the lowest bough, the moonlight seems to brighten, turning from grey to liquid silver.
A cool breeze rustles in the branches and ripples through the grass, all the way into the valley.

Everything comes into sharper focus—the glow of the fireflies down in the woods, the smell of the strawberry fields, the sound of the waves on the beach.

Gradually, the needles on the pine tree start turning from brown to green.
Everybody cheers. It's happening slowly, but there is no doubt—the Fleece's magic is seeping into the tree, filling it with new power and expelling the poison.

Chiron orders a twenty-four/seven guard duty on the hilltop, at least until he can find an appropriate monster to protect the Fleece.
He says he'll place an ad in Olympus Weekly right away.

In the meantime, Clarisse is carried on her cabin mates' shoulders down to the amphitheatre, where she is honoured with a laurel wreath and a lot of celebrating around the campfire.

Helia receives a lot of pats on the back as Clarisse's quest companion.
But nobody gives Annabeth or Percy a second look. As if they'd never left.

To Percy, it's the best thank-you anyone can give, because if they admit they'd snuck out of camp to do the quest, they'd have to expel them.
And really, he didn't want any more attention. It felt good to be just one of the campers for once.

Later that night, as everyone's roasting s'mores and listening to the Stoll brothers tell a ghost story about an evil king who was eaten alive by demonic breakfast pastries, Clarisse shoves Percy from behind and whispers in his ear, "Just because you were cool one time, Jackson, don't think you're off the hook with Ares. I'm still waiting for the right opportunity to pulverise you."

He gives her a grudging smile.
"What?" she demands.
"Nothing," he says. "Just good to be home."

~

After the party ponies return to Florida, Chiron makes a surprise announcement: the chariot races are to go ahead as scheduled.
This was much to the shock of the campers, who had all thought they were history with Tantalus gone.