04.

vol i
chapter four

The moment Annabeth's feet reach the deck, she flings her arms around Helia. Grabbing the girl, she looks at her, her expression nervous. "You're not mad, are you?"
Helia laughs joyfully. "Are you kidding? This finally means we get to do a quest together."

The son of Poseidon watches the two girls, a grin falling on his own face as they excitedly shake each other.
"Oh, and Jackson?" Helia addresses him. "I'm glad you're here. I know this means a lot to you."
His ears quickly start turning pink, and he coughs. "Uh–thanks Helia. I'm, uh, glad you're here too."
She beams at him, and Percy stills.
Gods, he doesn't think he'll ever get used to that. Her smile is genuinely blinding.

The mood is quickly soured when Clarisse comes stomping over, demanding they follow her as they're taken on an involuntary tour of the ship.
Everywhere they go, the Confederate soldiers stare at the newcomers. Annabeth wisely tells them she's from Virginia, much to their approval. Which flips when Percy mentions he's from New York. They all hiss and mutter curses about Yankees.
Helia was only too glad that she hadn't mentioned to them that she too originally hailed from the same state.

Tyson is terrified of them. He tries to get Annabeth to hold his hand throughout the tour, though the girl refuses.
Feeling sorry for him, Helia takes him up on the offer, and the Cyclops is more than happy that 'the pretty sun girl' is holding his hand. Percy watches on fondly, grateful that someone had been able to calm Tyson down.

They are eventually escorted to dinner in the captain's quarters. A table is set with white linen and china. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, potato chips, and Dr. Peppers are served by skeletal crewmen. Meal choices, which Helia finds particularly baffling.

"Tantalus expelled you for eternity," Clarisse tells the trio smugly. "Mr.D said if any of you show your face at camp again, he'll turn you into squirrels and run you over with his SUV."
Helia chuckles quietly, Annabeth glaring at her. "Hels!"
"What? Oh, come on. As far as threats go, it's hilarious."

"Did they give you this ship?" Percy questions.
"Course not. My father did." Clarisse replies.
"Ares?"
The girl sneers. "You think your daddy is the only one with sea power? The spirits on the losing side of every war owe a tribute to Ares. That's their curse for being defeated. I prayed to my father for a naval transport, and here it is. These guys will do anything I tell them. Won't you, Captain?"

The captain stands behind her, looking stiff and angry. "If it means an end to this infernal war, ma'am, peace at last, we'll do anything."
Helia raises an eyebrow. Shit. That was deep. She felt kind of bad for them now.

"We'll destroy anyone." The captain finishes.
Clarisse smiles. "Destroy anyone. I like that."
Tyson gulps.

"Clarisse," Annabeth says, "Luke might be after the Fleece, too. We saw him." Helia meets the girl's gaze; unspoken words are being said between the two. "He's got the coordinates, and he's heading south. He has a cruise ship full of monsters—"
"Good! I'll blow him out of the water." Helia had to admire the girls tenacity; she'd give her that.

"You don't understand," says Annabeth. "We have to combine forces. Let us help you—"
"No!" Clarisse pounds the table. "This is my quest, smart girl! I have one companion. I don't need more than that. This is finally my chance to be the hero, and you two," she points at Percy and Annabeth, "will not steal my chance."