eighteen

Heeseung POV

i watched in horror as princess seoyeon dashed up the stairs she had created out of water and punch. 

i saw the shadow of the creature seoyeon had seen and instantly felt my heart drop. 

i watched as the creature jumped out from the dark and pounced in the direction of the princess and the king. 

i watched as a single icicle pierced the creature's head.

i watched as the creature fell to the floor right in front of me and the other trainees, goopy blood splashing everywhere.

i heard my heart beat once, and watched as everything and everyone flew into chaos. 

the nobility and people from the village ran in a panic. i turned around and saw the other trainees look terrified.

"jay! jake!"

my two friends turned to me waiting for further instruction.

"gather the trainees. this is what we've been training for. spread out across the ballroom. jake, have your group escort as many people as you can out and away from the castle. jay, take the rest of the trainees and try and fight off as many creatures as you can!"

"hyung! where are you going?"

"to protect the princess."

i sprinted as fast as i could out of the ballroom up the corridor stairway and made my way to the skybox. 

i saw the king covering his head as seoyeon continued to release icicles towards two other creatures that were surrounding them.

without second thought, i unsheathed the sword i was given from our generals and made my way towards seoyeon.

Seoyeon POV

there were two creatures that were surrounding my father and me. 

i could feel my body getting tired, none of the icicles i had created worked. it kept piercing their bodies, but it seemed like none of them were getting hurt or tired.

just as i felt that all hope was lost, i saw something move from the corner of my eye.

it was heeseung, covered in blood and sweat, sword in hand, ready to fight.

"heeseung! get over here and bring my father to safety!"

i watched him battle one of the creatures and try to reach my father.

i continued to revert my attention to the creature i was currently battling.

i already had a massive cut across my thigh thanks to the creature using its claw to slash me. 

i was so engaged in what i was doing that it wasn't until i heard a thud behind me that i realized heeseung had fallen to his knees.

the creature had thrown him a blow to the head, knocking him out.

i watched as the following event happened in slow motion.

the creature approached my father.

i watched as it raised its claw, slashing my father right across his chest.

my sight became foggy due to tears building up in my eyes. 

i looked to my left to see a figure of a man jump from the balcony and flee the ballroom into the night.

there were no thoughts in my head. all moral consciousness has left me.

i closed my eyes and screamed as loud as i could, my scream echoing throughout the entire castle.

and then i allowed my body to collapse on the floor next to my father and heeseung.

.

.

.