ᴇʟᴇᴠᴇɴ: ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀ ɪs ᴘᴇᴀᴄᴇ, ᴜɴᴛɪʟ ɪᴛ ᴅʀᴏᴡɴs

chapter eleven: water is peace, until it drowns"The tree of life has many roots, yápilít

"The tree of life has many roots, yápilít. It connects us all."
☽☽☽☽☽☽☽☽☽☽☽☽☽

The Swan man calmed Ollie down and took her out of the cold and into the house. Despite his disoriented state, Charlie wrapped a blanket around his daughter as she sat on the couch. He scanned her face, finding her eyes empty and her skin lacking its normal glow. When he asked what happened between Bella and herself outside, Ollie burst into tears again. The father wrapped his arms around her again and gently rocked her back and forth. He whispered comforting things -- trying to comfort himself as well -- as his hand rubbed her back. It took longer to calm her down this time.

Once Ollie's tears dried, he laid her down on the couch. The girl watched TV with a blank expression, curled into a ball, and a blanket draped over her frame.

Charlie made his way to the kitchen and leaned over the sink. He clamped his eyes shut as he fought off the tears. A small sob escaped his chest and he sucked in a breath. His hands gripped the sides of the sink, his knuckles turning white as he ground his molars. It's a dream, just a bad dream, his mind screamed. Charlie opened his eyes and cursed silently. The man picked up three spoons in the sink and angrily slammed them into the steel sink. The loud echoing sound covered his sob. Tears rolled down his cheeks as he dropped himself into a seat at the kitchen table. Charlie raked a hand over his face as he sharply inhaled. The man reached for the new house phone and gripped it tightly when his hands trembled. He blindly dialed a number he knew by heart and then brought it to his ear.

The person didn't get a greeting out as Charlie choked out, "Harry."

A jingle of keys and a shout for his family could be heard distantly on the phone. Harry's voice echoed louder out of the speaker of the phone, "We're on our way."

☔︎︎☔︎︎☔︎

     Leah Clearwater was too good for this world. Maybe the Native girl's gods had sensed what would happen at the Swan house. Or maybe it was just Leah was a saint. Whatever Leah was, Charlie didn't care.

     The moment the Clearwater's pulled into the driveway, Leah jumped out of the truck. The girl didn't bother to knock, she simply threw open the door and looked around the entrance of the Swan home. Leah's eyes landed on Charlie and she looked at him expectantly. Charlie nodded towards the living room and the Quiluete girl took off.

     Leah rounded the corner of the couch and stopped in her steps when she saw her best friend lay emotionless on the cushions. Ollie, for the first time, tore her eyes from the TV and sat upright when she noticed Leah's presence. The younger girl's lower lip quivered as she watched Leah lower herself to the couch. The two girls sat in silence for a few seconds, simply staring at each other.