Chapter 3 - Camden

Start from the beginning

He's in a thin wife-beater and grey sweatpants too.

Does he want me to die? Because that's what it seems like. I'm heating up over here while he has a stupid smirk on his face. The way he looks shouldn't be legal, and all that sweatpants does is remind me of his—

nope. not going there.

He still has that smirk on his face when he says, "Did you like what you saw back there?"

"Back where?" I feign ignorance while I begin to clean up the mess I made while cooking.

"Okay, act like you didn't just see me naked. Pretend like you didn't do it on purpose. We both know the truth." He shrugs as he pushes off the door frame and walks to the island.

"I did not do it on purpose!"

"Of course you did. I get it, I've got an amazing bod and all that. Completely okay to be checking me out, Cam." He smiles at me.

I groan in frustration.

I rub my hands on the kitchen towel before closing the distance between us and shoving my finger to his chest.

"Listen. I didn't do it on purpose. I was wearing headphones and couldn't hear that someone was in there already. I'm sorry, and it won't happen again. It's embarrassing." I pout.

"You're embarrassed?" He barks out a laugh.

I frown harder and cross my arms.

"How are you embarrassed? I'm the one who was naked, I should be embarrassed. And i'm not, so you really don't need to be. It's an honest mistake, one that i'll definitely be telling everyone about." He smirks.

I playfully smack his arm — wow that's firm — and scoff before stepping away from him to check on the food.

He laughs again.

I turn off the stove and take the pan off the heat. I smile sweetly as I turn back to Blake. "Food's ready. Let's eat."

"That smile scares me, you know" He mentions as he strolls over to the cabinet to grab plates for the table.

"I didn't poison your food, Blake." I roll my eyes.

He blows out a breath, "Yeah i know that'd be insane–"

"Why would I waste an entire pot of food just to get back at you? That's wasteful and unnecessary. I could prank you so easily and you'd never guess it. You think so low of me, Blake." I hold my hand over my heart in fake sorrow, "I'm offended by that."

He has this slight look of terror on his face as he freezes in place.

I burst out laughing.

I get it, I don't really make jokes. This is like the first time he's experienced this from me. It's new and terrifying to him, but absolutely hilarious to me.

I clutch my stomach as I fold in half with laughter. Tears spring to my eyes as I try to stand and see Blake's face again.

"You're-" I try to say 'you're going to kill me with that look' but I can't speak over my laughter.

"Oh ha ha, it wasn't that funny, Cam." He rolls his eyes as he finishes setting the table.

I compose myself a bit and straighten out before replying with an, "Oh come on! You should've seen your face! How could i not laugh at that!" I smile coyly at him.

"I'm gonna go call the fam." He grumbles as he stalks out of the kitchen.

I giggle as he leaves.

***
"This food is delicious! Is it your own recipe?" Julie asks before shoving more naan and chicken into her mouth.

"No, it's my mom's actually. She's Indian, so she knows all the best food." I smile at Julie.

"Well it is absolutely exquisite. You must share the recipe with me one day." She points a naan bread at me as if it's a threat and I laugh.

"Of course I will, I can even show you how to make it sometime."

Julie claps her hands with excitement. "Oh yes, yes! Oh that'd be wonderful Camden, wouldn't it Evan? Imagine having amazing food like this all the time!" She looks over at her husband, who's eating silently.

He looks over at her and flashes a small grin. "You trying to fatten me up, darling?" He quips.

"Oh why of course, I happen to think beer bellies on men are just the most attractive thing in the world. It would really up your allure if you did something about this monstrosity." She smiles back and playfully smacks his stomach.

I stifle my laugh as I note her obvious sarcasm. 

Evan laughs and it sounds almost identical to Blake's, it's scary.

"Baby, if I had a beer belly back when you met me you wouldn't have even glanced my way." He responds.

"Okay now that's just an unfair and utterly rubbish observation of my character. I so would've fallen in love with you anyway."

"So I should stop working out?"

"Oh God no, I love your body." She kisses his cheek and he wraps his free arm around her with a huge smile.

"Ewwww." Ava quips from beside me, her nose scrunched up to show her distaste.

"Yeah guys, ewwwww." Blake mimics Ava while shooting a look to his parents.

"What? Can't a woman be in love with her sexy man?" Julie shrugs her shoulders.

Blake gags and this time I don't hold in my laughter.

These people are so amazing.

"Cam! Cam!" Ava shouts.

"Ava, she's right next to you honey, there's no need to scream." Julie winces.

"Sorry. But i wanted to show Cam my new doll after dinner!" Ava beams.

"Camden has her first day of school tomorrow sweetie, I don't think she has time to sit and play with you tonight. You also need to get ready for bed soon, hon." Julie says as she smooths out Ava's hair.

Ava pouts.

She's such a sweet kid. The second day I spent here, I played dress up with her and we had a tea-party dressed in tiaras and feather boas and some ridiculous makeup that Ava did, and we had a blast.

This kid is hard to say no to, which is why I say, "I can spare a few minutes, Julie. I'm not on a schedule here, and America starts school about an hour later than i'm used to so I can finish getting my things in order in the morning," I turn to Ava, "You've got me for half an hour, little one." I smile at her as I stand from my seat and put my plate in the sink.

"Yes! Let's go Cam!" Ava jumps from her seat and grabs my arm before leading me to her room upstairs.

**
Following almost an hour of hanging out with Ava, I pad over to my room, exhausted after today.

I shoot my parents and my friends a text before heading to the bathroom to shower.

I turn the handle all the way over to the left, making it the hottest it can go before stepping under the spray.

After I finish my shower, I do my skin care routine and put my hair products in before putting my hair in one loose braid whilst wet because I hate blow drying it.

Then I return to my room, put my phone on charge, get into bed, and hope I have a good first day of school tomorrow.

____________________________________
Chapter 3: Camden——————————

i know it's short and i know i haven't posted an update in a while but shit's been hectic over here guys. like you wouldn't even believe it 😭
school starts in the next chapter...idk about you guys but i'm excited for it 🤗

vote if you enjoyed!!