cookies and conversation

Start from the beginning

"Nonsense Lyall," Hope brushed him off. "I am more than fine and I know Remus adores your trips to that restaurant. Besides, with him out of the house, I can surprise him with some of those Easter cookies he likes."

Hesitation was plastered on Lyall's face, and for good reason. One bad fall or over exertion could seriously damage Hopes already frail health. Though the woman seemed in good spirits, and the man knew it was essential to uphold Amy level of normalcy he could for both his wife and his son.

"That sounds lovely," Aveline chimed in. "Though Hope if cookies are involved I'd honestly rather just stay here and help you bake. Growing up in a wizards home, elves did all our baking, I'd love to learn from the pro herself."

The woman's face practically lit up as she broke into a speal of how baking is like magic and everyone should learn to bake.  Aveline had never see Lyall Lupin look so relieved
, the man mouthing her a silent thank you from over the table.

By the time the coffee was drank the plans of the day were set. The boys would go into town for sandwhiches and shop browsing, well Aveline and Hope would stay back and bake Hope Lupin's famous Easter cookies.

It only require them to drag an angry and tired Remus Lupin out of bed first.

______

Easter is Remus's favourite holiday, you know," Hope said as she spread some icing onto the cookie, her frail hands shaky as she did.

Aveline fought the urge to reach out and cover them with her own, to do all the work in the baking, for she knew Hope Lupin didn't like feeling weak. And the woman was anything but weak, that was certain, and Aveline would be damned if she made her feel like that.

"Really?" the girl responded, as she was dusting a cookie in sprinkles , her sleeves rolled up and dusted in flour. "He told me it was yours."

The woman laughed, which turned into a cough that Aveline pretended she didn't hear, giving the woman a moment to catch her breath.

"The reason it is my favourite holiday, is because nothing is better to me than seeing my boy so happy. Ever since he was a child, I'm telling you he would go absolutely insane for easter. Bouncing off the walls, counting down the days," the woman said with a distant smile on her face as she shook her head.

"Sounds like Remus," Aveline giggled. "A holiday full of chocolate, literally his dream."

They finished up the rest of the cookies in the similar manour. Laughing and talking as they decorated the cookies. Hope telling Aveline all the stories about Remus he certainly wouldn't want her to be hearing, like how he used to wet the bed till he was five, and had a shirt with a dinosaur on it he wouldn't take off for an entire month.

It was endearing for Aveline, and so much of Remus she could see came from this woman, from her kind eyes to her sense of humour. It was hard not to love Hope Lupin, only a woman like her could raise such a beautiful son.

When they were finally done they had one dozen sugar cookies, and two dozen of Remus's favourite chocolate, extra chocolate special that the ladies had made, and the sun nearly looked as if it was setting.

Hope dusted the flour on her hands off in her apron, turning to Aveline with a smile.

"The boys shouldn't be home for another hour or so, how would you fancy a cookie and a cuppa outside on the porch? It's a beautiful day ," Hope asked.

"That would be lovely," Aveline agreed, but as Hope reached for the kettle with her shaky hands the girl stepped forward. "Please Hope, let me."

The woman turned to Aveline with her kind eyes, before agreeing and retreating to the porch to let Aveline make the tea.