Introduction

Year 1983.....

Tamil cinema was buzzing with new stars and actors. One such actor who was capturing everyone's hearts in recent times was Vijay.. Vijay Kumar.. The recent buzz in the k-town was that this dark skinned guy would definitely rule the screens and people's hearts one day.

Vijay Kumar, 27, had acted only in 7 films in the three years, in which the initial 3 films were flop. However, the next four films made him an indisputable star. He had even won a state award for best actor for his last film.

Originally, he belonged to an upper middle class family. He didn't remember a moment in childhood where he had to worry for food. However, when he turned 18, he wasn't interested in his studies. He wanted to become the star he watched on screen. He enacted those dialogues and actions in his classes. He then ended up failing in his higher secondary education. His father, Kaliya moorthy, who owned a rice mill, wasn't satisfied with his performance.

"Padippu avlo dhaana??? Thalai muzhugitiya??? Un matha rendu annanga nalla padichu engineer ah doctor ah irukkanga le...??? Nee enna Panna pore??? Olunga en kaalathuku pinnadi rice mill eh gavanichuko" His father yelled at him.

The young Vijay wasn't scared, "unga pere kaappatha avanga padichirukanga le. Adhu podhum. Naan nadikka poren"

Kaliya moorthy was exasperated at this point, "kettiya de??? Nadikka poranam.... Padippum vittutu thozhilum vittutu.. koothada poranam" he yelled at his wife.

"Ammave edhuku thitringa??? Enaku en Mela nambikkai irukku. Naan uzhaichu Munna vandhuruven. Koothadi nu romba ilaguva solladhinga appa.. adhu oru kalai." His kalai thaagam induced him to speak.

His father let out a mocking smile "Amsaveni... Un pullai ku kannadi paakura pazhakkam illaiya????"

Vijay looked at his father angrily. Amsaveni for the first time tried to intervene. She noticed that her husband was going to hurt her younger son.

Before she could speak, Vijay reacted to his father's mock. "Enna solla varinga appa neenga?"

"Pinna enna da??? Un color eh kannadi le paathurukiya??? Andhi vaanamaatam irutta irukke... Unnai poi yaaru da thirai le paappa???"

"Ennanga pesuringa??? Avan namma pullai... Avan nerathuku enna koraichal??? Avan unga nerathile dhaane irukkan.." Amsaveni wasn't able to control herself.

His father didn't stop,"thirai le varanumna adhuku oru muga latchanamum colorum veanum. Adhu edhuvum unaku illa. Ozhunga ennoda Naalai le irundhu mill ku vara paaru"..

Vijay listened to his father's words without any emotions.

The only thing that could affect him was his color. He was a handsome guy in Dravidian color. However, colorism prevailed mindset of his father missed to see his handsomeness.

He wiped the tears from his eyes and looked at his father,"Naan ungaloda rice mill ku vara matten. Enaku en mela nambikkai irukku. Inniku indha veetule irundhu poren. Naan Madras ku poi oru nalla idathe sambaadhicha apram dhaan indha oorukulla kaal eduthu veppen. Endha mugam thirai le nalla irukkadhu nu soldringalo, andha mugathuku paal abhishekam pandradhe neenga paappinga. Naan varen"

"Viji... Viji... Nillu pa.... Yeanga Avan poran... Nikka sollunga..." Amsaveni cried behind her son.

Kaliya moorthy wasn't ready to give up. "Enga de poga poran??? Raathri inga dhaan vandhu seruvan..."

Vijay left the house in his school uniform. To prove himself to this world, he reached Madras by hitch-hiking in a lorry. The city of dreams didn't treat him well. He wasn't the first person to enter the city to chase his dreams. Alas!