20 || 𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐋𝐘

- 𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐌𝐎𝐍𝐓𝐇 𝐋𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐑 -

****

𝐈𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐞'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕

There are moments when it seems as though nothing happened a month ago. I don't feel self-conscious about my scars, I don't think about the Foot and Karai very often, and Shredder rarely appears in my dreams. Perhaps it's because I've been too preoccupied with appreciating my new family, and my awareness of my history is gradually fading. However, Rory is never far from my mind. I think about her often.

Since Rory was all I had growing up except Shredder and the Foot Clan, there is still a part of me that feels alone. Even though Rory was crude and did not share my appreciation for humanity's positive aspects recently, we were unable to act humanely. Given how thoroughly Shredder misled us, I don't blame her for lacking compassion. Fortunately, my friends—my best friend in particular—and some other goofy lab experiments taught me everything I know. That nerd is always there for me when I want him.

Donnie has been rubbing off on me, which I find pretty fascinating. Having grown up in a stupid hangar, I had no hobbies or entertainment. I was not allowed to choose a preferred color or flavor of ice cream. It was forbidden to be a child.

I discovered that I like learning about the human body and the workings of the brain because there are so many new things to discover. It's easy for me to identify where I can improve just by spending time with a rat and four brothers. It's a unique feeling when I'm with them. But it's even sweeter the moment I get to share some of my time with Donnie. Somehow he makes me all fluttery and bubbly inside my stomach whenever I set eyes on him. To keep myself out of embarrassment, I asked April why I felt this way toward this reptilian mutant and she answered that I was taking a very strong liking for him.

I've never fallen in love before.

As I sit here and think about the changes in my current new life, I'm seated in the front seat of the Brothers' garbage truck, surrounded by the rainbow-colored lights that replicated a cockpit, and getting a good view through the tinted windows as we drive through the city this late evening. Each time I took a glance at him, Donnie was smirking flirtatiously and I couldn't help but repeat the same behavior to show my kindness and growing affection for him. What put the icing on the cake, was his large three-fingered hand that I used to be disgusted towards engulfing my single hand. Speaking of hands, April was able to speak to a prosthetic and orthotics specialist to arrange a meeting to fit me with a brand-new artificial hand. It sounds like this will be an interesting milestone for my new life.

Just after a few more minutes, Donatello pulled over at a private dock at the pier, literally no one in sight. It'd be a one out of a hundred chance for anyone to walk over here. I'll take that chance with Donnie.

He hopped out of the driver's side of the truck rushed over to my passenger side and opened the door for me. Gladly stepping down from the seat and onto the ground, Donnie instantly takes my hand before shutting the door and leading me to the nearest dock. We walked slowly, embracing the moment as a newly made couple-- a couple. It makes me chuckle to myself with joy. He brought us to the edge of the dock where the water crashed against it, almost splashing the bottom of my pants.

When we sat down, the moon was already dominating the sky and the sun was going down for the rest of the evening. I've never seen this range of hues before. In fact, I have, but I never had the opportunity to process it all this way. Simply seated here. The baby blue, rose pink, blush, mimosa, and pastel yellow blend nicely with the navy blue.

How could Shredder have detested such scenery? Why had he always been so hostile to anything appealing? Honestly, I may never know and I am fine with that. My good friend, Leonardo taught me that the rearview mirror is smaller than the windshield. It means that looking back on the past is okay sometimes, but never put your entire focus on it. The future is what matters now.

But Donnie continued to squeeze my hand and when he had us sit down in peace and somehow placed a spell on me to gaze into his eyes, his demeanor let me know that everything was going to be alright. "Is this everything you thought it would be?" He asked me gently as I leaned my head on his shoulder, staring at the glistening water. "Being free?"

I closed my eyes, taking in a breath that brought back old memories for the final time until my conscience had completely cleaned itself. As soon as I reopened my orbs to fill my vision with the remaining sunlight, I looked up at my mutant and answered. "No," I paused for a short moment. "It's much better." I sighed lightly. 

Donnie let out a breathy laugh and planted a simple and fond kiss on my forehead, realizing that I was someone he could not bear to lose. I know he forgives me, as does the rest of our family. It's safe to say I am on good terms with those I had terrible intentions towards.

Just the two of us, this very rare and unique and blissful moment, we shared a core memory that will remain inside us forever. How fascinating and remarkable is it that a person as aggressive as I once was may grow and learn to recognize the good in people, only to fall deeply in love with a mutant turtle that she ultimately wanted to kill? That was me.

Today, I'm trying to be the best version of myself, living my life to the fullest, and doing everything in my power to set an example for others in need of help. Of course, getting the support from my other half.

Donatello taught me that there is no love without forgiveness and there is no forgiveness without love. Another lesson is if there is no progress in something or someone, then there will be no changes. Not only is he my partner, but he's becoming a personal and wise mentor, too. Those deep hazel eyes I long for behind his lens pierced my soul and let me know that he is indeed, real. He's so real, that if he were to demolish, so would I.

Then, happily and flawlessly as one couple into the rest of our lives, we continued to savor this sunset together. Unaffected, no interruptions... bringing a horrible life to an end and beginning something priceless and lovely.

That is life itself.

Priceless and lovely.

Make it count.

****

𝓕𝓲𝓷