Chapter 47

Sasha sat on the sofa in front of the window with her elbows resting on the sill as she stared outside at the city that surrounded the castle. She wondered if the people who lived there were the same as their king. Were they hostile or friendly? Was the atmosphere down there humanely or terrifying, surrounded by the scent of blood?

While she was pondering on this, the door of her room was knocked and a maid stepped inside. She bowed to Sasha and told her that her husband, King Jasper, sought her. Yesterday's events raked her mind and she went stiff for a while. Nevertheless, she left her comfort zone to see Jasper.

The great Jasper who choked her to death yesterday, yanked half of her hair out of her scalp and called her a whore even with his half-crippled form. Sasha entered his room and like usual, he was sitting on the bed with his back against the headboard.

He was reading a book but he closed it as soon as Sasha stepped inside. She was quite nervous, wondering if he had forgotten yesterday's events or not but by his body posture, gaze, and the atmosphere of the room her shoulders instantly relaxed.

"Sit down." He ordered.

She didn't like his tone, she just couldn't afford to be ordered by someone like him but she didn't have any choice.

Ragnar was something else, he was beyond anything and his demands and commands only made her scared shitless.

She sat on the sofa beside his bed and looked up at him. "You called me." She said and he nodded. He looked at the book in his hands before his eyes traveled up to her.

"We will be leaving in a week even if I don't get well." His words had her falling off the cliff as she gawked at him. Astounded by the fact that he genuinely sounded like he wanted to leave. "Why are you surprised?" He asked, passing her a weird look and she immediately straightened her expressions and closed her mouth while clearing her throat.

"I thought you liked it here." She said, indirectly referring to his so-called liking towards that little vampire minx.

"Liking here? Fuck no. Are you dumb or what? Do I look like I'm enjoying myself here?" He asked and her eyes roamed on his half-crippled body. Yesterday, he was acting like an animal, today he was much calmer.

"No, but I thought we would leave when you get a little better to travel." She said and he shook his head. "I am getting better. I don't like this place. It's suffocating." His expression had her eyes slightly narrowing at him.

"You got injured here, I got injured here. My kingdom is in danger. This is fucked up." He grumbled in annoyance, almost sounding helpless to her. "Then we'll leave as you say. Even if you say tomorrow." She said, happy to know that she was finally getting away from this haunted castle. It has been a while since she heard such a piece of unexpected good news.

"What a good obedient wife you are. It makes me almost look like a villain." He mused and her eyes snapped up, meeting his gaze. He was smirking. She didn't mean those words to satisfy his stupid man ego but if it gets her on his good side then let it be. 

Sasha had noticed one thing.

Fiona was greatly interested in Jasper. 

It wasn't a normal interest.

It almost resembled her brother's obsession with Sasha but a lot less lethal.

Who wouldn't be swayed if such a beautiful woman would prioritize them?

"These days..." Her eyes focused back on him.

"These days...no ever since I got here, weird dreams have started to haunt me. Especially about this castle. It's almost like I've lived here before. Like I was here in my past life. Have you ever dreamed about such a thing as well?" Jasper asked, sounding more serious than ever but Sasha on the other hand went completely blank for a second.