Chapter 7 - The Run

Start from the beginning

"How did you meet Elias and Mark?" I ask.

"Oh," He gulps, "Back a few years ago, I had um.. sold different kinds of drugs. I had mistakenly given one of my guys a laced one. I didn't lace it; I would buy from another guy.. I guess he had a laced bag that he wanted to give me. And-" He gulps again, "That guy ended up almost dying."

"But how does that make you know Elias and Mark?"

"I thought if I just layed low and didn't sell, then I wouldn't be in trouble. And, Elias came over to the homeless shelter I was in randomly and said he would kill me if I didn't come with him. I- I couldn't do anything because Elias said he would have to kill me if he 'didn't complete his work.'"

"What work?"

"I guess he works for someone that he says he has to work for or something. I don't know anything other than that." He answers, opening up his next container of crackers.

"Like, he works in the mafia or a cartel?" I ask.

"He doesn't say it in a way that would be a group of people.. I don't know how to explain it to you."

"Oh." I say. It goes quiet for quite a while, and I'm shoving the information in my brain like a blender. We finish our peanut butter crackers and shove the wrappers in the lining of the couch. We get up, searching for the keys again, but nothing.

Were we really stuck here?

After a few minutes, Matthew speaks up, "Hey, do you wanna um.. just rest?"

"What?" I ask, confused.

"I was just thinking maybe we could just draw together.. I totally get it if you don't want to."

"Uh," I freeze, "I.. guess?" He instantly smiles like a little kid. He grabs two dusty notebooks and two pencils that were lying on the bookshelf in the corner. He both sit down next to the couch. He hands one to me, and I open it up. It already had two pictures: one of a woman smiling while leaning against a dock, and an unfinished drawing of another woman which I couldn't pinpoint as to who she was.

"Oh, back then they used to let me draw up here." He smiles, looking over to the picture I was holding, "That was going to be a picture of my mom."

"Oh.." I whisper, grazing my fingers over the linework, "She's pretty."

"Yeah." He says under his breath, now scratching at his own notebook with his pencil. I turn the next empty page, drawing my own mother. I'm surprised I remembered what she looked like, it's been so many years since she died.

-ELIAS'S POV-

Fuck.

I was racing down the street in my car, pulling myself down the street going 70 in a 30. My dad knew, and he knew well. I had somehow pulled out from his grip and ran. I needed to get back to that house and tell Mark.

I was on the street bringing me directly to the house. I press my foot harder onto the gas pedal, watching the pin meet 120. The dirt road shoves a dirtied look to my white sedan, bringing an obvious scratch to its exterior. "Come on.. come on.." I mutter under my breath.

My phone buzzes in the cupholder next to me and I grab it with my shaking hand. "Oh." I say under my breath, slowing to a hault on the desolate road. It's him.

MESSAGES

.- I have a job for you.

Elias- The contract ended seven months ago. Why are you still contacting me?

.- The contract also said that up to a year after the contract ends, I can still give you jobs.

Elias- Whatever. I'm busy today. What do you want?