I Should've Listened

Sometimes, the weight of a secret feels so heavy, and you find yourself caught between two difficult choices. On one hand, you want to protect your relationships with the people you care about, but on the other hand, you want to face the actual truth. This choice consumes you from within, tearing at your mind as time passes.

Your life becomes a routine of hiding something you know needs to be revealed. You play the role as if everything is fine, but in reality, you're harboring a significant secret that could broke your relationships with the people who mean the most to you.

***

The next day, I woke up with an undeniable feeling: guilt and worry. I questioned if this was my new life. Would I have to wake up every day with these emotions? It felt like a heavy burden on my shoulders, and I had no idea how to cope with it.

After trying to calm my mind and freshen up, I intended to leave my room. Just before stepping out, my eyes inadvertently caught a significant crack on my room's door, as if someone had struck it.

I was certain the crack hadn't been there before; I usually notice such conspicuous things. Curiosity and concern further stirred my mind. I looked for the aunt who was usually around the house, but there were no signs of her presence. Even the uncle, who hadn't left for work yet, was nowhere to be seen.

I attempted to think positively, maybe they just went to the market or had other errands. However, something in my heart felt off. It seemed like something wasn't right.

Feeling like there was a puzzle to solve, I decided to keep my questions until I saw my aunt or uncle. I didn't want to jump to conclusions before obtaining clearer facts.

Yet, the restless feeling and sense of guilt persisted. It felt like something was being hidden from me, and the crack in my room's door seemed to symbolize all the troubling secrets plaguing my mind.

Now, I had to patiently await answers to the myriad of questions swirling in my mind, while dealing with these emotions.

***

At the coffee shop, I gathered the courage to talk to Billy about something that might make him angry. I drew in a deep breath before asking, "Is there something you want to tell us, Billy?"

George glanced at me, knowing precisely what I meant. "Do you actually believe that nonsense from that guy?" he asked, furrowing his brow, seeming almost angry.

"Yes, why not? I think he's the one who made Emma cry after the game," I said without turning, focusing on Billy. Even though I looked strong on the outside, my heart was racing, and I was almost sweating. I spoke sharply, "Isn't that right, Billy?"

"What are you talking about? I did not make Emma cry," Billy denied, starting to get upset by my accusation.

"Really?"

"Yes. Why would I make Emma cry? I have no issues with her. She's my friend," explained Billy.

"Just for two months," I blurted out. Oh my, why did I say that? I instantly regretted what I had said.

His jaw dropped, unable to believe what I had just said. "What does that mean?"

"I was just saying the truth," I replied. Why did I continue with what I regretted earlier? I steered back to the right track and said, "Okay, that's not important."

"Two months is better than someone you just met a few days ago," Billy retorted sarcastically.

"I said... it's not important," I reiterated. I knew he was lying, so I dared enough to push Billy to tell me what actually happened.