Hopefully You Are Okay

A few moments later, I saw an old woman around forty-five accidentally dropping her belongings, and no one bothered to help her.

I wanted to ignore it, but for some reason, I couldn't resist my compassion. Although, at this moment, I was the one who should be pitied by people.

I rose from my seat and approached her. Without saying a word, I helped her pick up her fallen belongings.

"Thank you, young lady," the woman said gently as she took the items from my hands. While gathering her things, her hand accidentally touched mine. "Your hands are so cold. Are you okay, deer?"

This time, I couldn't lie to myself that I was not okay. I responded by slowly shaking my head.

She raised her eyebrows. "What happened to you?"

I lowered my gaze and replied, "I... have nothing... clothes, home, food."

She shifted all her belongings to her left hand and placed her right hand on my shoulder. "Here is some good news for you.

I happen to have thick clothing that appears suitable for you, and coincidentally, there's an unoccupied room at my residence. You are welcome to stay if you desire."

I felt relieved hearing her offer. "Really? I'd like that," I said with a grateful smile.

Perhaps the stars didn't provide answers with their voices, but they brought a kind woman to me.

And at that moment, I thought, Maybe all of this is my fault. Starra already warned the sky to alert me. But I was too stubborn to follow that warning.

The old woman raised her right hand to stop a passing horse-drawn carriage. When the carriage stopped, we entered the compartment.

Her black eyes looked at me with pity. Then she took the scarf covering her shoulders and placed it on mine.

"Thanks," I smiled at her. She knew I was extremely cold as she saw me shivering. That's why she gave me her scarf. She was the only person with a genuine heart I could find.

She responded with a gentle smile. "What's your name, dear?"

"Rache—Rae," I said. If I were truly thrown into 1827, I should use a different name to avoid changing the future. "Short for Hiraeth."

"Very well. I am Bertha Emerson, but you may address me as Aunt Bertha."

"Okay," I replied with low energy. Honestly, with my current condition, I didn't want to talk to anyone, but because she had been kind to me, I had to thank her by answering all her questions.

Aunt Bertha seemed not satisfied, as if there were still many questions she wanted to ask me, clearly seen from her facial expression. "Where are you from?"

I wouldn't really answer that question because I didn't know the state of my country in this year. So, I replied, "Far from here. It took days to get here."

"Why did you travel such a great distance to come here?" She kept questioning me.

"For work," for some reason, I said that; I just said the first thing that came to my mind, even though most of what I said was a lie. "My friend said that working here pays well."

She looked a bit surprised, "You work? How old are you?"

"Sixteen."

"Really? My daughter is also sixteen years old," she said with a wide smile.

I smiled at her, although the smile I gave was forced. "Will I meet her later?"

She seemed disappointed. "You won't be meeting her later."