My Heart Desire Your Lips

Not long after, George and Billy left. Maybe to get a drink, or maybe they couldn't stand my presence.

Mary seemed to smile at Emma and Edward, who were dancing. I shattered her daydream when I asked, "Do you have someone to do that with?"

"Huh? Um... yes," she replied awkwardly.

"You have a boyfri-lover?"

She nodded and answered with a reddened face, "Yes, I have a suitor named Albert. We have been a couple for two years."

I smiled and teased, "Let me guess. Does he have a title and wealth?"

"Yes. But I love him. Even before marriage."

"Where is he?"

"Eight months ago, he got a job in the north. He only sends me letters every week and comes about once a month," she explained in detail.

"LDR."

"What?" It seemed like Mary heard my muttering.

"Oh nothing. It's just that a long-distance relationship is difficult without commitment and trust. And you've endured despite the unfavorable distance."

With a somewhat heavy expression, she said,"I know. I miss him every day, and I hope he's here, dancing with me."

"If I could dance, I would gladly dance with you, but I can't."

She smiled widely, "It's okay, Rae."

Suddenly, my curious feelings about Emma and George surfaced, and perhaps this was the right time to ask her. "Do you know the relationship between Emma and George?"

She stared at me with a puzzled expression, "Why are you asking?"

"I don't know, it just popped into my head," I offered an excuse with a smile.

"They are friends," she replied, but her expression seemed less convincing.

"Just friends? Do you think it's not... more than that?"

"What do you want to know?" She seemed uncomfortable with this conversation.

I concluded this conversation with a whispered statement accompanied by a awkward smile, "Just curious."

Suspicious.

"How about the girl on your right?"

She turned to look. "Ruby?"

"Yes, you used to be friends, right?"

"How do you know?" She was slightly surprised, turning to face me.

"Emma told me."

She nodded slowly, reminiscing, "Oh... yeah. We used to be friends. But she left us."

"Don't you find that strange? She left you without a reason. There must be something that happened to her, causing her to leave you and change her behavior toward you."

She seemed to think for a moment before answering, "I do not know. She never talked to me about her problems. Maybe, some people leave because they feel bored or maybe... jealous."

"Ah, maybe."

"Now that you know a bit about me, I want to know about you," she said, wanting to shift the conversation focus to me.

"What do you want to know about me?"

"Do you have any interest in one of our guys?" she asked teasingly.

I laughed. "What kind of question is that? Of course not."

"How about George?"

"George? Are you serious?" I asked with widened eyes. I turned to look at George when explaining my reason, "He's the worst person I've ever met. I really want to erase him from my memory and leave from here so I'll never see him again."