Chapter Thirty-Seven - Think Swimmer

Start from the beginning

"Iced slopes?" The aspects of winter sounded unappealing to me. 

He grinned at my disdain. "The road in front of your house can get really slippery around February. If you want to have the time of your life or your car battery's dead, all you need is a shopping cart and it rolls you all the way to town. Speaking from experience."

"And you made it in one piece?" 

"I have stupid privilege," he said so casually. "You can slide down entire mountains on your ass when it glazes. Just be ready to ruin your pants." 

He noticed that I was looking at him weird. 

"Your idea of fun is... perplexing."

The corners of his eyes crinkled. "You wouldn't try it if you could?"

"I don't like winters," I said and sighed. It was coming, whether I liked it or not. 

"That's not very West Virginia of you," he replied, and I guessed the faint humor in his tone. "After the way you drove my car barefoot, riding at the edge of the seat with a gun on your lap, I figured you've finally turned into a true countrywoman."

"Stop." Despite that, I was smiling. I was scared out of my mind during the trip to the hospital, but the mental picture had its desired effect. 

"All that's missing is the straw chew and overalls."

I rolled my eyes and went quiet. I wanted to ask if it was still safe outside, but knew better. If Luc picked up on any danger, he wouldn't wait for me to inquire. With Swimmer well nestled, I managed to straddle my branch, back against the pine. 

"Do you ever do homework here when it's calm out?" 

"Sometimes."

I glanced far below at his backpack and remembered that he can call the object to him whenever needed. "That's crazy. Popping out assignments in the trees during monster watch." I bit my lip, swung my feet in the air. "Goddang Wander'er ate my homework agin."

The long, full-throated laugh caught me by surprise. I had done it to entertain myself, almost whispering, then suddenly felt embarrassed for putting it out. 

"It'll happen one day considering my luck," Luc said, propping one knee to his chest. He stared in the distance as the wind blew short waves away from his forehead. He looked so... normal in these brief moments, so normal it was captivating. 

"Is there anyone that looks out for you?" I hated to ask, but the idea that an eighteen-year-old boy was just taking on this responsibility on his shoulders was incredibly sad, no matter how self-reliant he was. I hoped I was wrong. "Protects you while you do this kind of stuff?"

He frowned. "There's nothing to protect."

Did he believe himself there? Because that couldn't be true. With these creatures, there was a permanent risk.

"There's really no one?" 

"No one," he repeated, and I couldn't grasp how it didn't disturb him, like it was natural. His head tilted. His eyes met mine. "Is that supposed to be strange?"

"You come when people need your help. If you're hurt..."

He waited for me to finish, though I never did and held my breath. He folded his arms. 

"My body heals fast. Fractured bones, cuts, anything I've ever been through. After a certain age, I was on my own. All the strong ones are."

I shrugged, disappointed to hear that. "But you could get hurt over this ordeal."