14 │A lonely lamb

Start from the beginning

Freya felt a familiar presence after a few seconds. She didn't need to turn to know it was Leander. She had already learned his way of moving and got to know his smell by heart. That peculiar thing was quite odd indeed, but the woman couldn't deny that she was able to sense him being nearby.

Leather and pine.

"Is it always so beautiful?" She asked softly.

"It is. Even when the waters aren't so calm as today."

Freya didn't respond to that. She believed him. Something this kind of beautiful would be beautiful regardless of the weather.

"I'm sorry for disturbing you. I just wanted to say we're back and you can rest knowing nobody was hurt."

That caught her attention. She turned, facing him.

"Thank you."

"You don't need to thank—" He hadn't managed to finish the sentence when his eyes traveled lower, noticing the state she was in.

She remembered what she was wearing and how exposed her body was to him right now. Under her gown, her nipples stiffened and she was pretty sure the sight wasn't missed by the Prince. The thought he was watching her with such a piercing gaze made her shiver and did such traitorous things to her belly that she couldn't hide her flush. His eyes followed every single curve of her body, not missing her exposed breasts, and certainly not missing the inviting shape of her hips. Everything was on display under the thin material she had decided to wear.

It was the second time her action led to such an embarrassment. In any other situation, with any other man, maybe she would not be shy and vulnerable like this. But first, he was one of the two vampires she'd seen so far and second, she was on the way to marry his brother.

Why was she feeling she was going to marry the wrong one? It would be much easier if that was him. She could then not worry about this stupid gown or her being naked at the lake. She could reach for him, kiss him as if her life depended on it, and make him hers right this instant.

Her breathing increased while she was staring at his piercing eyes. She should not think this way, she should fucking not... She should collect herself and hurry him out of her room.

She couldn't.

Furthermore, she was one moment into making her wishes come true.

"I'm sorry Frey, if I knew you were in your night attire, I would not enter." Something in his tone made Freya think, he wasn't totally honest. "I'll let myself out."

He turned toward the door.

It was a pure instinct for Freya to reach for him and grab his hand. He turned surprised.

"Don't worry about it. You've seen even more the other day," she smiled, trying to make a joke out of this. "Maybe I'm about to be your queen soon, but don't forget that I'm just a human. Let's make no more fuss about things like that then."

Leander's brows quirked indicating his discontent. His hand was still trapped in hers while he replied, "Don't talk like that, Frey."

"That's true. I'm terrible at being a lady. I will be an awful queen and you're all going to hate me." A simple shrug of her shoulders was all she decided to show him. Freya couldn't trust her emotions right now, so a simple indifference was her way of conducting this conversation.

Making her gasp, it was he who now reached for her second hand, bringing her nearer.

"You'll be an exquisite queen, don't let these doubts trouble you," he commented seriously.