Chapter 2

Note to reader: *$1 (USD) = 100 Fleigens.*

It was just past 8 a.m. Rory could hear the birds chirping in the distance as he rubbed his eyes and stumbled from the bed to check on Lei, who was sound asleep and snoring. "Wow, you must be really tired," He mumbled, before turning toward the bathroom to get ready.

When he returned, he saw Lei looking around in confusion with his eyes barely open. "Rise and shine, sleeping beauty!" He teased. 

"Sorry, I was knocked out..."

"No big deal, Is your head feeling better?" Lei stared at the wall emptily, failing to reply. 

"Hmm? Oh, yeah."

"Is something on your mind?" Rory asked, after noticing his behavior. There was a long pause. 

"I thought I was dreaming, but I guess this is real."

Rory scoffed awkwardly. He wanted to ask more questions, but he figured it was better not to push things.

"Oh, it's real, alright... Do you wanna go grab a coffee? I start work at 10:00." Lei shook his head.

"I don't have any money-" Rory waved a hand dismissively as he cut him off.

"Don't worry about that. You're my employee from now on, a pretty boy like you never fails to catch the ladies' eyes." Rory winked.

In another situation, Lei would've resisted the offer, but he didn't have much choice now, did he? Starting today, life was no longer under his control. "Okay, what do I have to do?"

They walked into the spacious book-filled building. It smelled of paper, humidity, and coffee. Black railings extended upward in a spiral, seemingly infinite. On each level and over the roof, were stained glass windows with geometric patterns.

"This is my favorite Library in town. I mean, they have books AND coffee it's like-" Lei cut him off. 

"What more could you want?"

"I know right!?"

"This kind of reminds me of a library I used to go to." Rory put down his cup as they settled on the table. 

"Oh, that's right. Yesterday you were rambling. It was something about your wings and how you don't understand why I'm the only normal one here." Lei knitted his eyebrows.

"You said you believed me."

"Yes, I do but, I mean, we're practically strangers." He took a sip of his drink, momentarily changing the subject. 

"Thanks. I needed caffeine."

"Of course," Rory replied.

"It's not like I have Amnesia or anything. I remember my life just fine. I know what I saw... I crossed some sort of mirror-portal thing. Before yesterday everything was normal. I was the only one with wings like this and everyone else looked like you. I live with my Mom, and two assholes I call 'brothers', Xion and Jian. My favorite color is green, and I have no aspirations or hopes this will happen, but my dream is to be a musician." The more Rory nodded the more confused he became.

"So, this might sound a little far-fetched, but if everything you're telling me is true, and you're sure you're feeling alright, I know someone who might be able to help." Lei looked up at him. He didn't say anything, but his eyes spoke for him. "Follow me."

They fluttered up, down, and around every corner of the library while Rory searched for a short, brunette girl with pointed ears. "Hey, Piper, how's it going?"