Chapter 1

Rory rummaged through the gigantic pile of washed clothes on his bed that he had yet to fold. "Why does it have to be so hot out?!" He groaned as he searched for something to wear that wouldn't cook him alive.

He landed knocking on the lilac door he was so familiar with. It wasn't easy moving away, although he only lived a few blocks from Meredith's house. "Mom, I'm home!" She opened the door, rushing to hug him. 

"Rory I'm so glad to see you!" 

"Me too." He replied with a dimpled smile.

"Goodness, you leave for a week and you've already gotten taller." Rory looked down at his shoes. "Oh, that's right. It's your boots. Come on in, don't just stand there." Rory giggled.

"I brought you a little gift." 

"Exciting!" she replied. The sound of an opening door paused their conversation. It was Angelina. She was the only one who still lived at the house, other than Radir who had gone off to fashion school. However, she was moving away with her boyfriend in just a few months.

Angelina was dressed in a dainty sky-blue skirt that complemented her wavy, blonde, hair along with some white wedge heels and silver jewelry.

"You look, gorgeous sis!" Rory told her as they embraced each other. 

"Thanks, Rosy." Rosy was the only nickname he had ever had. He wasn't quite sure why but he liked it.

"I'm going on a date with Adrian." Rory rolled his eyes at her. 

"Well, that explains it. Have fun with your little boyfriend." Angelina sighed dismissively and ruffled Rory's hair.

He wasn't a huge fan of dating, couples, or people in general, and despite his social skills, he only considered a select few people his friends.

He took his mother's gift out of his tote bag as Angelina shut the door behind her. "I'll be back, Mom!"

"Okay, Honey!" she replied, waiting patiently for Rory who pulled out an iridescent magenta bottle decorated with a shiny heart pendant.

"I made this one just for you. My customers loved it, too. I sold so many. Go ahead, try it." She opened the bottle and carefully took in the smell. 

"Roses and vanilla. It smells just like the boutique we used to have." 

"Yup! Cool, huh?" Rory replied. 

"Thank you, Rory. I love it." 

"I'm glad you do."

Before he knew it the sun had set. He had yearned for a taste of her food lately. It was the most prominent memory of his childhood. "Thanks, Mom, I'll come back soon." Meredith waved him away as he wandered into the woods.

He was so bored with life that he wouldn't mind if he came across a man-eating goblin, it sounded much more amusing than folding clothes. Besides, he had never seen one, he was sure it was just something people made up to scare their kids to sleep.

The night grew darker as he passed layers of ferns and sequoia trees. Extending his arm, he emitted a dot of warm light from the palm of his hand. "Damn it!" He whispered. "My phone's dead."

Suddenly he felt nervous, nauseous even. He began to regret roaming around in the woods with no particular destination. What a brave and mighty idiot you are. The voice in his head teased.

Each time a stick snapped at his feet he looked down to make sure he hadn't stepped on a centipede or a scorpion.

There was a loud thump in the distance followed by the sound of crackling leaves and a painful cry. He jumped up in the air ready to fly away at any given moment, but his curiosity tempted him to come down.