Order For Everett

ATHENA POV

Thank god he let me out today early, I needed to eat before I had to go back out for my shift at the cafe. My tummy was grumbling up something fierce.

I walked back home with a large smile on my face, the meeting went well. I think that's the most I've heard him talk in one session. He had a darn good voice, that's for sure. Deep and gravelly, it would compel me to do almost anything if he spoke that much to me.

He has nice arms and hands, too. He had rolled up his sleeves halfway through the presentation while he answered questions. I had to keep myself from ogling at the veins, the pure masculinity dripping off of him.

I sigh as I get to my house and open the fridge, unsure of what to eat from the very limited options. I chose leftover buttered noodles with parmesan as the only other food in my fridge were lunchables, which are Hera's, and bell peppers, also Hera's and also yuck.

I take my time eating since Mr. Wallace had let me out early, then I change into my uniform. I hated the uniforms, they were so unflattering. I looked like a freaking box with legs.

I then begin my journey to work and thanked god that it wasn't raining, since it usually did every day this time of year. I had more important things to pay for than a car, hence my need to walk everywhere I went. I was lucky enough to be within walking distance from my second job.

We had moved for the job opportunity I was given by Wallace Enterprises. We used to be in a crappy neighborhood with an even crappier school district, which I couldn't stand for. I made it my life's purpose to save up enough to move into a better neighborhood with a better school district for Hera, and applied to every job I could.

I was, and still am, surprised that I got an interview with Wallace Enterprises. It was a shot in the dark as I was running out of places to apply to. I was no where near qualified, so I guessed that they were desperate.

And now, here we are. Working two jobs from sunrise till sunset, trying to give my little sister the best education and life she can get. I knew she didn't remember as much as I did about life before it was just us, and i'm thankful for that. Therapy would've had to be another expense added to the monthly bills. I told myself I didn't need it, even though I experienced the worst of it.

Enough of that, though. I had a job to do and I was determined to do it right, even for only $14 an hour. It was more than nothing.

My shift began like normal, a small rush at 5 as people got off of work and wanted to bring a sweet treat home for their families. My favorite regular, Mr. Ryanheart, walked into the cafe at his normal time.

"The usual?" I ask with a genuine smile. He loved to sit and drink his coffee, even though he was alone. He would watch the sky and passing cars without a care in the world.

"Oh why of course, dear." He smiles back. He was like a father figure to me, considering I never had a proper one. He was in his early 70's and still going strong. He always asked about my day when I went to drop off his food if we weren't too busy.

"Coming right up!" I giggle.

I turn to make Mr. Ryanhearts coffee and let Jason take the next customer. I had only measured out the coffee grounds when I heard a familiar voice.

"Athena? You work here?" Mr. Wallace spoke with his usual firm demeanor. I turn and smile at him.

"Oh! Hi Mr. Wallace. I'd love to take your order but I don't want you to have to wait," I turn to Jason. "Can you take this one please?" I ask.

Before Jason can even respond, Mr. Wallace huffs. "I'll wait." He deadpans, not taking his eyes off of Jason.

"Alrighty.. i'll be right there." I try to cut the tension between the two of them. I finish making Mr. Ryanhearts coffee and step around the counter to deliver it to him. He beams as I make it to his table.

He brings his voice down to a whisper and instructs me to lean in, "Don't let that man give you any trouble, honey. Stand your ground and remain confident and positive, as usual."

"Thank you Mr. Ryanheart, but he's my boss. He won't do anything, I assure you."

"Alright dear, if you say so." He raises his eyebrows as if he doesn't believe me.

I set his coffee down and hurry over to the counter and step behind it. I'm sure getting my workout in today, I think.

"What can I get for you, Mr Wallace?" I breathe out, pushing Jason lightly so he'll move and not continue to hover over me. Someone was clearly irked about the earlier encounter.

"Coffee. You know how I like it." He digs for his wallet, never breaking eye contact. Woah mama, was it getting hot in here? Maybe it was just his voice, or his oh so insistent eye contact. I blamed it on the heater.

"Can I have a name for the order?" I say more out of curiosity than of habit.

"Everett." He huffs.

Hot name for a hot fellow. Gosh I really had to stop.

"It'll be right up, Mr Wallace!" He hands me the needed money, and I put it in the register.

Jason seemed bored and annoyed, probably because I was taking more customers than him. Loser. I hold back a giggle.

I make Mr. Wallace's coffee, which wasn't anything special. Definitely something Jason could've made so i'm not sure why he asked me and made it seem so secret when he said "you know how I like it."

I finish his coffee and place it on the counter on the opposite side of where I had rung him up.

"Order for Everett!" I yell, not seeing him anywhere. Suddenly he appears from around the corner with a dark look in his eyes. He digs around in his wallet and places a 50 dollar bill on the counter when he grabs his coffee. He walks away before I can say anything.

After he leaves, I run to Jason. "Jason! Jason! Look! I got the biggest tip ever!"

He grumbles before saying, "Who was that guy?"

"My boss over at my first job," I reply.

"He seems like bad news. Did you see the way he was eying you up when you made his coffee?"

"No, I was too busy making his coffee. And I don't think he was, for your information." I cross my arms over my chest.

"He's bad news, thena. That's all i'm saying." He sighs as he goes back to work.

Great, now he's gonna be moody the rest of the shift.

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

1192 words
Happy holidays everyone!!