8. A young boy's determination

"Stick to the basics and you should be fine. Don't think about doing well." You suggested Eren, putting his belt on. It was evening now and he was still training determined to get it right.

  "Slowly rest you weight on the belts attached to your hips and feet." Mikasa directed calmly. He looked at her with unsure eyes. "Stay calm and you can do it. I was able to." Armin reassured him.

    You were a bit confused, why Eren out of all people couldn't do it? You could do it, almost effortlessly. Maybe he panicked and messed up his first try?

    "Okay, I think I can do it this time." He stated with a bit of confidence. His feet dangled when he was raised up. His stern expression turned into one of horror in a split second, his forehead smashing into the ground knocking him out. You winced as Mikasa hurried to his aid. Something was definitely wrong but you couldn't pin point what exactly.

    Whispers errupted from the tables around you, people kept talking about your brother's failure. You tried to ignore them, Eren's defeated expression keeping you from doing so. Mikasa shook his shoulders to bring him out of his trance. You sighed putting a piece of bread in your mouth.

    "There's no point in worrying. You just have to figure it out tomorrow." Armin tried to soothe him, to no avail."I'm pathetic" he huffed, 'there he goes...'
"I won't be able to kill them all like this."
He muttered defeated, staring down.

    "You should let that idea go." You looked up at Mikasa in surprise.She's still at it? Trying to convince him even after years.Eren protested as Mikasa stood her ground."There are other ways to fight than just throwing your life away." "I saw what happened that day! You'd think that'll convince me?"

    "They sound like an eighty year old couple.." you mused to Armin who just shrugged. Mikasa kept talking while everyone left the mess.... except you and Sasha. She was staring at Mikasa's untouched bread.

    You laughed at Sasha who stared helplessly when Mikasa ate the bread in front of her.

-

    All of the people from your class were surrounding a specific training gear, anticipating the results. It was Eren's final test today, and if he couldn't pass this...he will be sent to the frontiers.

    "Raise him" The commandant ordered. Eren was raised slowly creating immense suspense. Will he pass or will he fail? Everyone was waiting for that answer. Heck Jean even betted his dinner on Eren failing.

    He managed to balance on the gear, everyone cheered loudly,he succeeded!
...Until the thing you didn't wanted to see happened, he was hanging upside down by the belt, his miserable eyes meeting yours. He pleaded for one more chance as the commandant dismissed him.

    "Wagner, change belts with Yeager."He ordered as one of the soldier exchanged his belt with Eren.You slowly caught up to the situation. His gear might've been malfunctioning! That's why he kept failing! You grinned upon the realisation while Jean gave you a creeped out look.

    "Have you officially lost it?" Jean mocked as you shot a glare at him. Everyone expected the same outcome when he was raised once again, but this time being steady. He didn't fell this time. he grinned and threw his hands in the air in victory. "I did it!!"

    "Your equipment was defective. The fitting was broken, I've never heard of this part getting damaged." Shadis narrated as he inspected the belt.

    "It all worked out in the end... He's looking at us as if to say "See!". You said looking at him proudly. "No" Mikasa spoke, "he's relieved that we all won't have to be seperated now." She said monotonously gazing up at the triumphant boy.

    "D-did it means I pass?" He inquired still doubting the trainer. "You're fine. Commence training." He said looking at him with no expression..man his resting face is scary even.

    The commandant gave you a look before walking away. This confused you, still ignoring it was for the best. Eren was put down walking towards his friends, smile never leaving his face.

    You high-fived him, a regular thing you two did whenever any of you accomplished anything.You were both happy and relieved that none of you had to leave anyone.

Now the actual training begins.....

--------