Like Home

Friday 23rd - Saturday 24th February 2018
Jess's POV

Stepping off the jet we were greeted by three large, blacked out SUV's and both myself and Marshall we quickly ushered over to one whilst Paul, Sam and Jack headed to the other two.

Almost as soon as the car doors closed, we were speeding off down the runway and towards the metal gate.

Each second bringing me even closer to my new life.

I look to my right as I notice Marshall keep glancing at me.

"Everything ok?" I asked, maybe the lack of sleep was just getting to him. I sure as hell was getting to me.

"Nah, I'm trippin'. How do you look more like me than I do? I mean you even got my mannerisms. Everyone says Hai's my twin, wait 'till they see you."

"About that, what happens with the press?"

"Look, I'll protect you from it for as long as I can but there's obviously gonna come a day that it leaks but we'll figure that out when it comes to it. You just got to be prepared for your life to change a lot."

"After the past couple weeks I think I can handle a change or two." I said as we both laughed.

"I guess so. You know I admire you?" Why the fuck would he admire me?

"How so?"

"Just the way you're dealing with all this. I don't think I could do it. I don't think many people could. It's pretty badass."

"Well, what's that saying? If you never try, you'll never know? Something like that anyway. My point being, I don't want to look back in twenty, thirty years and regret that I didn't do things. If you have never made a mistake before then you haven't done anything new, even if that means finding out you've got a whole ass family you never knew about."

"You've got a point." As he said that I felt the car turn onto what appeared to be a gravel track.

"Well here we are." Marshall said.

I turned to look out of the window and from behind the trees as huge mansion came into view and when I say huge I mean probably twenty times the size of Dan's house and the evil bitch who I've sworn to myself that I shall never metion her name again.

"Oh My God." I said as clasped my hands over my mouth and gazed up at the building before me. Even in the darkness, the final minutes to midnight, this place was still stunning.

I can't believe I get to live here. With a man who seems to hold a genuine love for me even after a short time. Is this what a real family feels like?

We leave the car and Marshall heads in front of me to unlock the massive double doors. As I catch up to him the door swing open and he urges me to step inside.

As I glance around in every direction I hear the door behind me close.

"Welcome home Jess." I hear Marshall say as I spin around and wrap my arms around him. After a second of hesitation, I think from the shock, I feel him hug me back.

___________________________________

Marshall had taken ne upstairs into what would be my new room, not even hotel suite's are this big.

A huge queen size bed, floor to cieling windows overlooking the lawns, an en suite and walk in wardrobe. God, what did I ever do to deserve this?

"At some point you can get this decorated however you want and I'll give you a house tour in the morning but forgive me, I can't right now because I'm that tired there's a good chance I'll get us lost if I show you round now." This caused me to giggle, I never thought someone's house could be so big they ran the risk of getting lost themselves.

"See you tomorrow and be prepared for a whole lot of craziness with the girls. Sleep well Jess." Marshall said as he shut the door, leaving me in here alone.

I lay back on the bed a quickly dozed off once more.

___________________________________

I awoke the following morning to the heavenly smell of bacon and the noise of people laughing and talking downstairs.

I rolled to look at my phone's clock, 5:35am, he really wasn't lying when he said they'd be early.

I decided I best freshen up before I go to meet my siblings, that'll take some getting used to saying.

I head into the bathroom to brush my teeth and take a quick shower, careful not to get my hair wet because that's a whole other mission to try and tame my frizzy, damp hair first thing in the morning.

I slip on some sweatpants and a hoodie, brush my hair and put a pale pink gloss on my lips. That'll do, the excitement was killing me and I just wanted to get downstairs and meet them now.

I opened my bedroom door and realised I had no idea where I was going.

Follow the scent of food, Jess. My subconscious told me, knowing whenever food was involved I'd find a way.

I finally made it to the kitchen doorway and stood there to see Marshall and his daughters standing around the island laughing with the occasional bit of food being thrown at someone.

The girls were all so pretty and seemed to be really close and share a great bond eith their dad, something I'd always wanted.

Marshall glanced up and smiled at me.

"Morning Jess."

This got the girls attentions who stopped, turned and stared at me for a bit.

Then one of them got up and headed over to me, giving me a big hug.

"Hey, I'm Alaina. I've been dying to meet you." She said as she let go and continued to smile at me

"Thank you. Happy belated Birthday by the way."

"Aww thanks Jess."

Next she was virtually shoved out the way and replaced by who I believed to be Whitney as she looked closest to my age.

She she jumped into my arms forcing me to catch her so we both didn't fall.

"Whit, calm down." I heard Marshall interject.

"Sorry dad. This is so cool, you're like my age, right?"

"Yeah, I think so."

"Fucking awesome, I can't wait to get to know you."

"Likewise."

"Whitney Laine, language young lady." Marshall once again interjected and Whitney rolled her eyes at me before turning and sticking her tongue out at her dad.

Finally, the other girl, now obviously Hailie stepped forward and I could immediately see the resemblance to Marshall.

"Dad wasn't wrong when he said you looked more like him than I do. Hi, I'm Hailie." She said and gave me a light hug with the faintest of smiles.

"Jess. I'm not so sure about that, you and your dad are like the same person."

"You seen a mirror recently, you could be dad in drag. Also it's our dad now." I glanced over to Marshall who only smiled at the comment and then felt the girls guiding me to the island.

Thry all resumed what they had been doing before I'd arrived and I fit in perectly. This was already starting to feel 'Like Home'.

The End.

A/N - Thank you guys so, so much for all the support. This was my first book and I was unsure whether to write it at first but I'm so glad I did.

As said before, the sequel will be up in the first couple of months of 2024.

Merry Christmas everyone and a Happy New Year.

~ Im 💕