Not Alike

A/N - This first chapter is short and just a filler whilst I write a longer second chapter that will hopefully be out in a few days (if all goes well).

Saturday 3rd February 2018
Jess's POV

Ever get that feeling you don't belong? The one where you're inferior to everyone else? You're not wanted? That you're different but you can't figure out why? Me too.

I've always felt like the black sheep of the family and tonight was no different.

We're at a family gathering for my grandfather's birthday, extended family and all. Everyone is dancing, singing and eating all the buffet food.
But me?
I'm sitting at a table in the corner of the room observing and trying to wrap my head around why I'm not like the rest of my family.

Is it the dark brown of my hair, compared to everyone else's light brown or blonde hair?
Is it my bright blue eyes, whereas the other members of my family have brown or hazel eyes?
Or is it simply the fact I'm so introverted?

I want to be the same as them, I want to blend in.
I want answers and know I'll have to get them myself, so that's exactly what I set about doing.

As I tap my feet along to the beat of Lose Yourself playing on the karaoke machine, I remembered the offer the Sixth Form students had given us in assembly this week.

A free DNA test to help them for their research. Me and my bestie had immediately declined but now I began to rethink.

Before I even know what I'm doing, I find myself on the school website, entering my information into the system to sign up for the test which is taking place on Monday morning.

Maybe now I'll get my answers?
Maybe this isn't such a bad idea after all?

Now all I have to do is survive the night with these extroverted, crazy people that I call my family...

A/N - hope you like this small first chapter, feel free to give me feedback and suggestions, it would be much appreciated.

~ Im 💕