Insane

Monday 19th February 2018
Jess's POV

I tear open the envelope and for a split second fear I may have ripped the paper inside, thankfully I haven't.

With shaky hands I unfold the paper and begin to read. Most of the first page being terms and conditions and phone numbers to contact should there be any issue with the results.

Flipping the paper to the next page the first thing that catches my eye is a sentence stating that both my parents are American. No, that can't be right. My mum and dad are from England, whether I fit in or not, I'm British.

Continuing to read I finally come across the information on my parents. The more I read, the more I think there must be some sort of mix up with the results.

The paper in front of me states that my biological mother is Paige Gibbs, a 43 year old Cinematographer from New York and currently living in LA. However my mum is Eloise Andrews, a 49 year old Florist from Norfolk and currently living in Bristol.

Maybe it's just a mistake, right? Reading more of the page I stumble upon my father's information.

Should everything be right this should state that my dad is Daniel Andrews, a 52 year old Mechanic from Bristol and still living in Britsol. But it doesn't.

This shows my biological dad as Marshall Mathers, a 45 year old Musician from Missouri and currently living in Michigan.

Confused about why this says I'm American and lists two people that aren't my parents, I tell Mr Stevens there must be a mistake.

"Oh right, I'm sorry, I'll call the test company for you today and see what they say."

"Thanks sir."

"Just go to lessons and I'll let you know Jess."

___________________________________

After two hours of waiting a knock on my classroom door pulls me out of my thoughts.

"Could I please borrow Jessica for a minute?" It was Mr Stevens, that's what I loved about him, if he told you he'd do something for you, you'd best believe he would.

On the walk to his Lab, he mentioned that he'd spoken to the test company.

"So what'd they say? Have they mixed up the results?" I questioned when we finally stepped foot in the Lab.

"Um, no Jess. There's no mistake. It seems like you may be adopted, I'm sorry you weren't told. If you need anyone to talk to, you know where to find me."

I left the Lab, tears pouring down my face and head straight to Lexi and Alex's English lesson to ask to speak to them.

___________________________________

"Adopted? American? That's good right? At least you have your answers." Lexi made an attempt to comfort me.

I guess it is good, I finally know why I don't fit in but a part of me feels so hurt and betrayed. My whole life is a lie.

"That's insane Jess. What are you real parents names?" Alex asked.

"Paige Gibbs and Marshall Mathers. His name sounds so familiar." I choked out through my sobs.

"FAMILIAR??? Girl you have no idea." Alex's eyes were wide and he had a shit eating grin plastered across his face.

"Why?" I looked over to Lexi to see if she had any idea what Alex had got going through him but all I got was a shrug.

"Marshall Mathers. Eminem. Slim Shady.
EminemSlimMarshall??? I was right, I called it. You're related to a famous person."

No, that can't be but it explains the familiarity of his name.

"OMG Jess you've got to contact him" Even Lexi looked like she was on the verge of passing out.

"Him and Paige put me up for adoption for a reason, he clearly doesn't want to know me."

"But don't you want to know that reason? Why you were put up for adoption?"

"I guess but I should probably go confront my 'adoptive' parents first, right?"

"You best get going Jess." Lexi said.

"You know where to find us if you need anything, anything at all." I heard Alex calling as I walked away from them.

This was it, I was going home to talk and finally get my answers. But should I contact my birth parents? Alex is right, this really is insane...

A/N - what are we thinking? Next chapter will be in Jess's POV and hopefully after that, Marshall's POV will start to be included.

As always, any feedback or suggestions are welcome.

~ Im 💕