Event: Levi's Birthday Special

Start from the beginning

You spoke softly and slowly, trying your hardest to ease into the topic carefully for his sake. Finally, he turned to fully face you, his steely eyes searching your face before he seemed to decide what he wanted to say.

"I did, yes. And you're right, it has been. Never really cared for winter after she died, nor cared celebrating the one shitty day out of the year that makes me older."

Slowly, you reached out for his fingers, finding them near freezing to the touch. He had to have been standing out here awhile, you thought, as you looked over his pink tinted ears and nose.

Showing him a bittersweet smile, you began to gently rub some heat back into his hand with your own.

"Well, maybe think of it this way; your mother would be proud to see who you've become, and how hard you fought to escape the underground. She chose to love you for the time that she had, and she still does wherever she is. She'd be sad to see you freezing your ass off out here second guessing yourself."

Whether it was the cold or the words you sincerely spoke, you couldn't quite tell, but the light pink hue spreading across his cheeks was a color that you found suited him nicely. With a wider smile, you took his other hand into both of yours to repeat the process of warming them back up.

"And as for your birthday, well, I think your life is worth celebrating at the very least once a year. You've survived again and again, despite whatever odds you face each new year. And you've managed to put up with me more the past few weeks, so that's a feat all in its own."

To your surprise, a soft chuckle met the end of your speech. The corner of Levi's lips were slightly upturned and the color in his cheeks had yet to fade.

Another first for you, was seeing the thin watery line cresting his eyes as he partially turned away, glancing one last time up at the sky before looking back at you and gripping your hands with both of his.

"Thanks, Y/N," he all but whispered, swallowing back any more emotion from slipping out.

Shaking your head with a bemused grin, you squeezed his hands and daringly reached in to place a soft kiss on his cheek.

"Of course, I'm here for you. Always."

With a gentle tug at his hands, you began to lead him away from the spot he hadn't moved from in god knows how long.

"Now, let's get you back inside. Maybe we could sit by the fire in the mess hall? Last I checked it wasn't occupied, so we can have the space to ourselves for a bit."

He merely nodded his head with an approving hum, holding on tighter to your hand as you led the way.

"Good, we'll also grab some tea to cheer you up! And while we're at it, we can talk about you at least letting me celebrate this birthday with you? Please?"

Your eager prompting was met with the faint sound of him clicking his tongue in mock annoyance as he followed closely after you.

"I guess I can tolerate that. But no sappy bullshit, you hear? I don't want this to be any kind of big deal."

"So I cant tell Hange or Erwin?"

"You especially cannot tell them. I just...Want this to be between you and me." Levi mumbled, avoiding the awestruck look you shot him over your shoulder, and the playful cooing that followed. Seeing his embarrassed scowl, you ceased your innocent teasing.

"Okay, okay, no sappy bullshit. But you never know, you might like it. Can't say you don't like something till you've tried it, you know?"

While you rambled on about how you would spoil him into enjoying a birthday for once, he listened in silence with a warm smile aimed at your back.

Who knew, maybe he would enjoy this year's celebrations after all, now that he had you to celebrate with.

As the two of you walked hand in hand back across the training field towards the base, snow startled to lazily float down from the heavens and fill the indents Levi's shoes had set against the frosty grass only moment before as dusk fell over the land.

Perhaps it was nature's way of accepting Levi finally leaving the baggage of his troubled thoughts in the past where they now belonged, you idly thought as you peered out from under the blanket you shared with your lover towards the window to watch the snowflakes fall some time later.

But here in this moment, resting your head on his shoulder by the fire with a warm mug of tea perched in your lap, you knew you'd always come to his aid if the snow didn't brush the woes away.