Healing

Requested from  Tumblr
════════════════════════════
A year has passed since the war, yet despite the sorrows many feel in the aftermath of destruction, joy can also be found in the hearts of healing soldiers.

With you by his side, Levi is slowly healing and learning to live his life to the fullest.
════════════════════════════
SFW, fluff, Chubby!Levi, S4
════════════════════════════

A soft tune filled the otherwise quiet kitchen, bouncing off the walls and spilling out the open window of your quaint home.

A pot boiled on the stove before you, heating your face with sweet smelling steam as you leaned over it with ladle. Stirring at the soup you were currently preparing, you smiled to yourself softly as you continued to hum.

What it was you were humming, you hadn't a clue. You let the tune come to you as you worked on preparing yours and Levi's dinner. But how could you not hum to yourself a senseless tune, when you felt so overjoyed with your new life?

Yes, you were still grieved over the loss of your loved ones. And yes, the destruction to Paradis, though it was being rebuilt, still weighed heavily on your mind. But amidst the sorrow, joy also started to blossom. You were finally free. Free from the war and free from fighting for your survival.

As the pot simmered, you took a moment to peek through your kitchen window and enjoy the view of the fading sun. Magnificent colors painted and faded across the Marlian sky, soothing your soul and putting a smile on your face. Hearing the creaking of floorboards behind you, you hesitantly tore your gaze away from the sky and peaked over your shoulder.

Ever so slowly, Levi came limping into the living room adjacent to the kitchen. He stayed silent, not sparing you a glance just yet, but you didn't mind. You watched as he crept closer to an arm chair situated near your quaint looking fire place, a newspaper clamped in his injured hand. He took a seat with a low sigh, so quiet you almost didn't catch it, and began to unfold the paper to read.

You allowed yourself another smile as you watched him, and you had to remind yourself he would be okay without constant supervision.

After the war, you'd stayed with him; tending to his injuries and overall helping him cope with his own emotions. At first, he was terrible at bringing to life what he felt with words. But after a year of your company, and his own progression with his physical health, he had slowly opened up more to speaking his mind.

You'd never forget the many nights you both sat on your couch, either hand in hand or simply holding eachother close as you reminisced both the good and the bad from your years in the Survey Corps. You'd pet his hair when he'd eventually cave in and break down, giving him a safe space to let his walls come crumbling down once and for all.

But only for you.

Picking up the ladle from the counter top once more, you kept sneaking glances his way as you stirred the pot.

A year of rest had done Levi good, you thought. You admired him now as he read, the paper in his lap allowing you to fully see his face washed in the evening glow of the sun. His scars had faded to rigid white lines running down his face, no longer an angry red and welted. He'd never liked them, but you found them endearing. His will to survive and his success painted in his face. Throughout this time, he'd finally had several meals a day; not something either one of you were used to before the war.

Now, as you observed him, you were warmed with pride to see his once sullen face had filled out. Though he would always scoff and roll his eyes, you couldn't help but love the way his cheeks were more chubby now.

"They're perfect for little kisses!" You'd exclaim with affection.

"Fuck off," he'd mumble back in response.

Chuckling to yourself, you were thrilled to see his waist wasn't as thin as before, as well as his thighs, arms and belly. A little more weight suited him, though you found him just as attractive as you always had; regardless of before or after the healthy weight was added to his smaller frame.

Turning off the stove's heat, you made your way across the room to take a seat on his arm rest. For a moment you stayed silent, choosing to read over his shoulder the events taking place throughout the world printed on his paper. But eventually, you noticed he wasn't reading. His eyes stayed still as he gazed down at the paper in his hands, seeming to not take in a word of what was printed.

"You alright, Lee?" You softly asked.

"Mmh," He hummed softly, drifting his eyes up to meet your gaze. His shoulders lost their slight tension the moment his eyes met yours, and he leaned his head back in the chair.

"Lost in thought, I suppose..." He trailed off, lifting his hand to inspect the scars and missing fingers there.

Sighing, you took his hand in yours and smoothed your thumb over the stumps on his hand.

"You're beautiful, you know that?" You whispered.

"You may not have come out all in one piece, but you survived. You sacrificed so much to carry on their stories. Their losses weren't in vain, thanks to your help."

You'd had this talk with Levi countless times over the past year, but you'd happily have them every day with him if not to reassure him all was now well. That he was now well.

With a sigh, he grasped your hand in both of his own.
"I suppose you're right...Thank you."

Smiling down at him, you leaned in and placed a soft kiss on his plump cheek.
"Come on, dinner's about ready."

"Tsk, leave my cheeks alone," he halfheartedly scoffed as he slowly stood. You helped him into his feet and gave his waist a playful squeeze.

"But they're so cute!" You giggled as you helped lead him towards the kitchen.

"They're not. You did this to me. Always making meals to fatten me up." He grumbled on, but you knew he didn't mean it. He'd always been one to express his fluster with snide remarks.

Smirking to yourself, you helped him sit at the table and prepared two bowls for you both.

"I'm not fattening you up! You're just healthy now, Lee. You deserve hot meals every day, and I think you look damn handsome. Healthy, and handsome."

Blushing faintly over your words, he grumbled to himself some more as he accepted the bowl you handed him and picked up his spoon. As you ate, he kept stealing glances over at you sat across from him.

"You mean it?"

His sudden question made you pause with your spoon halfway to your lips, looking up at him with a gentle smile.
"I do, Levi. I really do."

He seemed to absorbs your words, taking them in and mulling them over.

"Thank you," he finally mumbled.
"For everything."